PDA

View Full Version : Meyle HD sway bar links

Bo525i
06-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Changed my sway bar links to Meyle 316 060 4322/HD, took me hours as there was no where to counterhold at all on them and the bolt starts spinning inside the swaybar link after a few turns!

The self locking nuts are of inferior quality imo.. One of them simply would´nt tighten, just kept spinning and after fighting to get it off again (again no counterhold) I found that the thread inside the nut was totally gone, without me using any kind of excessive force. http://langkawi.dk/smileys/u0102.gif The swaybar link bolt was fine!

Thankfully I had some reserves of better quality and got everything tightened properly at last! :)

Lets see how long it takes for them to go bad.. Heavy Duty my a**.. :D

merlin
06-13-2009, 12:43 PM
see if you can return them and get Lemfoerder instead.

Bo525i
06-13-2009, 12:45 PM
A bit late, they´re mounted :)

repenttokyo
06-13-2009, 04:32 PM
see if you can return them and get Lemfoerder instead.

he'll be fine with meyle. My fronts are holding up perfectly.

shogun
06-13-2009, 04:52 PM
There are counterholds! Look at the end of the threaded bolt. Cannot be seen on the pic), better than the old system which looked like this
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/swing_support/spanner_16.jpg

Bo525i
06-13-2009, 05:07 PM
Well, nothing except rubber on the ones I bought.. Under the rubber then perhaps? I didnt feel like destroying brand new rubber coverings so I got them mounted by using a plier at the bolt end to keep the bolt from turning (which will give me hell when I have to change them eventually :) unless ofcourse I just tigersaw´em at that point)

shogun
06-13-2009, 05:13 PM
at the end of the threaded piece where the bolt comes on, have once more a look, a torx/inbus fits in (hexagon).
If I remember correctly. Will try to see if I have a pic of that.

Tiger
06-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Yes, it is suppsoed to have counterhold that you use I beieve a open ended 17mm wrench.

ArnZ!
06-13-2009, 07:08 PM
yes, it is suppsoed to have counterhold that you use i beieve a open ended 17mm wrench.
+1

Bo525i
06-13-2009, 08:12 PM
16 actually, Guys its not like I´m blind or anything.. :D But no matter as I already wrote I mounted them using an alternative approach!

The torx fitting escaped me Shogun, and I was looking like a idiot for the 16 spanner counterhold like on the old ones.. Doesnt make it any easier now that they´re on! Sigh.. ;) :D

Tiger
06-13-2009, 11:00 PM
16mm... you can use 5/8" ... whatever odd size metric size you see... you can match it to SAE wrench.

Bo525i
06-14-2009, 01:08 PM
shogun:
at the end of the threaded piece where the bolt comes on, have once more a look, a torx/inbus fits in (hexagon).
If I remember correctly. Will try to see if I have a pic of that.

Damn do I feel dumb, the counterholds are right where you said they´d be http://langkawi.dk/smileys/b101.gif

To my defense I was in a hurry, had to go to work and had very little time left to mount the new ones after taking too long to remove the old ones.
The stress blinded me so I used the wrong approach and paid no attention to the different design, I even had the right tools.. http://langkawi.dk/smileys/b130.gif

Arghhhhhhhhh.. Never try to fix your car under time pressure! :)

Meyleman
06-18-2013, 10:43 AM
I am the technical support rep for MEYLE in the USA. Every once in a while I get a call or e-mail from a customer that is wondering how to tighten the
nuts on the stabilizer links and stopping the threads connected to the ball pin from spinning. Since MEYLE started producing the HD stabilizer links they have built into the inside top of the threaded piece an allen head drive to keep the ball pin and threaded portion from spinning during installation and removal.

Now, starting in March of 2013 MEYLE has decided to do away with the allen head drive and have a built in below the threaded portion of the ball pin a 16mm wrench drive to stabilize the ball pin from spinning during installation and removal and it is much more easier to see.

genphreak
06-19-2013, 10:35 AM
Nice. More good work from our friends at Meyle, eh?

Thanks for letting us know.