PDA

View Full Version : M20 Overheating

ocampg
06-07-2004, 07:51 PM
my 89 525i M20 started overheating today. Upon inspection of the radiator cap, I noticed that the 3 o-rings, 2 were broken, and 1 had a fairly large piece missing. I also noticed that there was no water left in the overflow/expansion tank which explains the car overheating.
I am wondering how bad it might be that there are pieces of o-ring floating around my cooling system.
Also, I would like to know exactly where the coolant might have escaped? I assume if it leaked past the o-rings and the cap, there would be a residue surrounding the tank/cap, yet it seems to be clean as whistle.
Under normal operation, where does the overflow escape from? Most cars that I have seen have a little tube at the top of the tank for it to drip out of, However I do not see anything of the sort on this particular vehicle. Sorry for the long post, just very curious as to how the system works, and what might have went wrong.
TYIA
Geoff

Chad535
06-08-2004, 12:46 AM
Well...i don't know about the overflow tube location on the M20 but my advice would be to change the radiator cap then fill the system up and bleed it. You should be able to notice any further leaks if any.
your car might have been leacking coolant slowly till it decreased to a level where it's temperature increased creating more pressure, pushing more coolant out of the leacking point......things get so fast at that stage. :-(