PDA

View Full Version : Another PS Hose Replacement

stargazer_61
06-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Besides a straight jacket, does anyone here have any tips and/or sage advice on replacing the PS lines in a 95 540iA? They have gone beyond weeping to a more dreaded leaking stage, especially the lines running under the brake booster. I figured that since I have the entire front suspension off for replacement it is high time to replace/refurbish all of them.

So far I have the two lines at the pump and the "easier" of the two on the gearbox disconnected but not removed. Are the lines to the pump fixed to the side of the engine? I saw in an earlier post that access to the cooling lines is relatively simple via removing the headlamps. What about removing the brake booster as well? Necessary or convenient?

As always, thanks in advance!

bimmo_2007
06-04-2009, 07:08 AM
I did this last week -earlier post-, I removed the front bumper & the driver side headlights. I believe it is easier than removing brake booster or anything else, what's more you can remove the headlight vertical aim control behind the headlight & remove the cables passing behind, also loosening the steering cooling coil will also make it even easier. Good luck

stargazer_61
06-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Wow, that is very useful. Thanks for the assist!

Tiger
06-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Geez! Removing bumper?! I got to do this on my car too... got everything but didn't do it yet.

stargazer_61
06-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Geez! Removing bumper?! I got to do this on my car too... got everything but didn't do it yet.

Tiger, let's keep each other up to date on our progress with this project. So far, I have started to remove the brake booster, but will stop and pull the bumper and headlamp instead. That particular area is where the worst leakage is on my car.

We are heading to Asheville in the EOS for the weekend, but I will start back up on Sunday.

Tiger
06-04-2009, 07:12 PM
I am not even there yet... I don't really know where my leak is although small, but I have almost all the parts needed to do the job. I am not anticipating on doing this job til later summer.

So you say the leak is under the brake booster? I'll take a look there.

stargazer_61
06-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Under the brake booster is where the worst of it is. Lots of old goo that as coated the underside pretty bad and will take a lot of degreaser/scrubbing to get it all off. But basically they are all weeping or leaking. It's just age and mileage.

I will try and take/post pictures of my progress.