PDA

View Full Version : Replacing rear trailing arm...

anonymous1
05-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi,

I am looking at changing the rear trailing arm due to the existing one being bent to the extent the rear cannot be tracked. I have got hold of a 2nd hand replacement assembly including the bearing and am hoping to fit it next Tuesday.

Looking the Bentley, it looks like a pretty straight forward job. Just wondering if anyone has done this on an E36 before and could provide any insight into what issues I might encounter.

At the min I'm wondering if I'll have issues parting the axle from the bearing house assembly? (Bentley mentions that it may stick) How easy will it be to remove the bush from the old arm and press into the new one or alternatively pressing a new bush in (I have ordered one in case)? I'm waiting to check if the torque wrench I have goes up to 250Nm for the collar nut.

I've had a quote for the labour at £64.40, so I'm just weighing up if additional tools, (new torque wrench, press for bush, pulling tool for axle) will make it more economical for me to take in to a garage. :)

Any input is appreciated. :D

e34.535i.sport
05-29-2009, 09:07 AM
"I've had a quote for the labour at £64.40" LABOUR - What's that? LOL! :D You disappoint me 'daniel-san'... :p

Looks pretty straightforward looking at these...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB12&mospid=47441&btnr=33_1004&hg=33&fg=30

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB12&mospid=47441&btnr=33_0468&hg=33&fg=25

Get it in there! If you need to borrow the gear puller etc it's not a prob, that should help to get them bushes in there!! :D

anonymous1
05-29-2009, 09:26 AM
LABOUR - What's that? LOL! :D You disappoint me 'daniel-san'... :p

Looks pretty straightforward looking at these...
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB12&mospid=47441&btnr=33_1004&hg=33&fg=30

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CB12&mospid=47441&btnr=33_0468&hg=33&fg=25

Get it in there! If you need to borrow the gear puller etc it's not a prob, that should help to get them bushes in there!! :D

LOL! Yeah, I'd had a look at that and thought they don't look too bad. Ordered part 4 from axle diagram and parts 4, 9, 10, 11 ,12 and 18 on trailing arm one. (£29.35) Only part with bushes is you have to leave clearance on one side if I remember what the Bentley said correctly... which I prob don't as it's a few hours since I read it and we know my memory.

Going to unwrap the new/old part on Mon and have a look to see if one already in that and then I can have a practice. There's a couple of other bushes on the upper/lower control arm, but there's no mention that I'll need to replace these, so not planning to at the min mate. :D

I hear you've got an illness coming on for Tuesday though that will mean you have to take the day off from work. :p

I suppose I should be more worried about getting my legs run over than how hard the job is... might get me a traffic cone or two. ;) Have to see if I can find the bolts you mentioned on diff to see if that resolves my clunk back there.

Mucho on tools. :D

e34.535i.sport
05-29-2009, 09:45 AM
LOL! Yeah, I'd had a look at that and thought they don't look too bad. Ordered part 4 from axle diagram and parts 4, 9, 10, 11 ,12 and 18 on trailing arm one. (£29.35) Only part with bushes is you have to leave clearance on one side if I remember what the Bentley said correctly... which I prob don't as it's a few hours since I read it and we know my memory.

Going to unwrap the new/old part on Mon and have a look to see if one already in that and then I can have a practice. There's a couple of other bushes on the upper/lower control arm, but there's no mention that I'll need to replace these, so not planning to at the min mate. :D

I hear you've got an illness coming on for Tuesday though that will mean you have to take the day off from work. :p

I suppose I should be more worried about getting my legs run over than how hard the job is... might get me a traffic cone or two. ;) Have to see if I can find the bolts you mentioned on diff to see if that resolves my clunk back there.

LOL! U off today then or making good use of company time?! :D Ha ha ha... No chance of me taking a day off I'm afraid! Sounds strange but I miss work when I'm not there too :p ...

Don't suppose you really need to change any of the bushes if they supplied you with one in the new arm... but I'd def do #4 (which u are!) if it were me. Unfortunately #4 resides in your favourite bracket! ;) New hardware is always a good choice nice one.

Hey that would be a result if you get rid of clunk while there, kill two birds with one stone as they say. I've still got the new oil there to put in mine but just haven't had time to get it in. You'll have to send some pics of the new/old part!

anonymous1
05-29-2009, 10:12 AM
LOL! U off today then or making good use of company time?! :D Ha ha ha... No chance of me taking a day off I'm afraid! Sounds strange but I miss work when I'm not there too :p ...

No Comment!!! :p

Yeah, apparantly you need to completely undo it, think it's because I have to take the suspension spring out again. JOY! Although if anyone can confirm I'll have room without taking the axle off I'll be happy to leave it hanging! ;)

Should've seen me on bus with the part, looked well cool with my shrink wrapped lump of metal. I'll try and get some pics throughout... but no doubt I'll end up blinded by rust and working by touch as normal. :D Luckily no mention of the bushes needing to be done in pairs on mine, so don't have to do the nearside at same time (only got done about 8-months ago and you know how much fun that was... turn, turn, snap and fall on your ass!!!)

If I finish within the time I think it will take and can get tracking sorted, then I'll head down and do the oil whilst your in work if you want? Don't think I'll look at all dodgy in the carpark under your car with oil all over my face, what you reckon?! :p

whiskychaser
05-29-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm waiting to check if the torque wrench I have goes up to 250Nm for the collar nut.
Any input is appreciated. :D
Get John to check my sums, but I reckon 250Nm is only 25kg at the end of a 1 metre bar. 1 metre scaff pole used to be tool of choice for twokkers so there should be plenty about:D Your problem wont be achieving the torque but getting the old nut off. Didnt you buy the trailing arm complete so it would be a direct swap without all the f.. messing about?;)

e34.535i.sport
05-29-2009, 05:33 PM
If I finish within the time I think it will take...

I don't like those odds! :D Thanks for the offer tho :p

anonymous1
06-01-2009, 05:27 AM
Get John to check my sums, but I reckon 250Nm is only 25kg at the end of a 1 metre bar. 1 metre scaff pole used to be tool of choice for twokkers so there should be plenty about:D Your problem wont be achieving the torque but getting the old nut off. Didnt you buy the trailing arm complete so it would be a direct swap without all the f.. messing about?;)

LOL! That was the plan, but the nut has to go to get the axle disconnected from old arm. :( Have a pretty large breaker bar, so reckon I should be able to get enough on that to get it off, long it's not seized too badly. (Famous last words there)

On a positive note, I think I have a 25Kg dumbell I can tie to the end of breaker bar, save me doing the pushing. :p

Been getting a noise from that wheel round right hand corners, so wondering if I've also got dodgy bearing. Poss I'll get rid of 2 issues in one swoop. :D

All being well, I should get this done tomorrow and then just need to get the tracking sorted.

Cheers