PDA

View Full Version : Suspension work

andyman32
06-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Hi guys, been awhile since I've been on the board...

I'm thinking about doing my suspension. The car just looks funny at a standstill. I measured the front and back ends of the rocker panel on both sides on a flat road with the car idling in park. It is down by a hair under 3/4" front-to-back on both sides, and a full 1/2" L-R at both ends.

Someone else a while back mentioned that it might be worn springs that cause the lateral imbalance, so since I've wanted to put sport shocks on anyhow, I thought I should also do springs.

However, the only springs I can find are on bavarian autosport... they have an in-house set and an Eibach set, both of which are for lowering the car about 1".

1) Do you think this is an urgent maintenance item with the F-R and L-R sides so far off with ride height? Should I avoid highway travel? Or is this just normal ride heigh discrepancies?

2) Should I lower the car? Is a lowered car as good as a DD, or is it really just meant for being on a track?

3) Does anyone know where I can get a set of springs that are just like stock, but cost less than OEM springs ($90 apiece)?

and lastly,

4) Bav Auto has a has a Racing Dynamics front stressbar for $250. Is it worth it? Can I get one for less, and does it make that much of a difference? I like to push the car while driving sometimes, but I don't have any immediate plans for taking it to a track...

TIA,

Andy

AllanS
06-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Are you saying that it sits lower in the back than in the front, or that it sits lower on the left than on the right side?

Turner sells H&R spring sets for 245$:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/subcategory_detail.asp?modelcode=E34&subcat_id=63,

...and Bilstein/H&R combos for 670$. Around December, I switched to Mtech springs all around, which cost over 300$. I used my stock Boge shocks, which was a mistake- it lowered the car, but the ride was very mushy after a few months on this setup. Mine is a bit older than your 94' though.

andyman32
06-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Yes, believe it or not i'm saying that the car rides lower in the back AND that it rides lower on the left (driver's) side. So, essentially, the front-right wheel is the highest and the rear-left is the lowest. There's no noticeable problem with the ride, other than that the suspension is kinda cushy (more so than I think it should be). But I definitely know that I'm going to have to do the shocks AND springs... I'm just not sure which to get, and I'm also not sure how urgent this is. :-\

AllanS
06-07-2004, 05:24 PM
Well, it's always going to ride lower in the back anyways, or at least the wheel will have less distance from the fender in the back than it would in the front. You can check out the 2003 Bimmer.info photo contest thing for pics of e34s to see what I'm talking about.

From your pics, it looks as though the right side is slightly lower than the left, but it's probably just due to the camera angle. Either way, nothing in the gallery looks visibly off. Nice color btw :) Your wheels look where they should be for an e34 with stock suspension.

andyman32
06-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I know it - I just put it out on the road in the front of the house where it's level and measured with a tape measure.

I know the rear APPEARS to ride lower - the wheel well in the fender is a good deal lower in the back. Up until I measured it, it was just paranoia. Now I have MEASUREMENTS! {:-O

Karl
06-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Lowered daily driver is OK, as long as you don't get carried away. My 528i (e12) and ElCamino are both about an inch lower than stock--that's about the limit on the steep drivesay approach I have. It did improve handling--the old bimmer can keep up with e36 cars in the corners at drivers school.

632 Regal
06-08-2004, 03:01 PM
I have the BavAuto springs in my 530, they are really soft and bottom out on big bumps even with new shocks. I think it bothers me more because I live on a dirt road and its never in good condition. The rears do sit lower than the front at least on any bmw I saw. heres a link to a pic of the lowered look and dont forget your 540 might be a bit heavier in the front than my 530 and both are heavier than the straight sixes.

http://www.thecitypress.com/bmw.jpg

andyman32
06-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Hey Jeff, do you have a side-profile of your car with the lowered springs? From the front quarter, the stance of the car looks REALLY nice to me.

And do you recommend against the Bav Auto springs? Should I spring for (pun intended) H&R or Eibach springs?

I park the car in a gravel parking lot with some pits, and the lip of the driveway is somewhat steep.

Maybe I should just look for OEM springs?

632 Regal
06-09-2004, 11:48 AM
I dont have any with the car lowered and have to wash it anyways if it dont rain. I am not saying I dont like them just to let you know they do sit low and are soft. I never scrape anything (watch them parking blocks!) but it will bottom the front shocks on large bumps. I have the stock springs still in the barn but I wouldnt want to raise the front like stock again.

Hey Jeff, do you have a side-profile of your car with the lowered springs? From the front quarter, the stance of the car looks REALLY nice to me.

And do you recommend against the Bav Auto springs? Should I spring for (pun intended) H&R or Eibach springs?

I park the car in a gravel parking lot with some pits, and the lip of the driveway is somewhat steep.

Maybe I should just look for OEM springs?

Unregistered
06-09-2004, 06:44 PM
Do you have them on front and back? Or just the front?

I have the BavAuto springs in my 530, they are really soft and bottom out on big bumps even with new shocks. I think it bothers me more because I live on a dirt road and its never in good condition. The rears do sit lower than the front at least on any bmw I saw. heres a link to a pic of the lowered look and dont forget your 540 might be a bit heavier in the front than my 530 and both are heavier than the straight sixes.

http://www.thecitypress.com/bmw.jpg