PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft Out - should I or shouldn't I?

Scott C
05-25-2009, 03:09 PM
525i, 132K Miles

Well after having a rumble/lateral vibration that seemed like driveline (30-60mph - felt side to side motion at driver and passenger seat - not much in steering wheel), I removed the drive shaft (oh what a pleasure - that was fun, certainly the exhaust removal - couldn't have too many floor jacks for that job).

After inspection - the U and CV joints seem fine, the center bearing seems a little loose (rubber is fine) and the guibo seems okay (some tears). When pushing on the transmission laterally (tapping with a rubber mallet), I felt the vibration that I felt while driving - so pretty sure all the tranny and engine mounts are due for replacement and that is the likely culprit for the vibration. (Shogun, you were right again - saw your recommendation in other posts)

So now the question - since I am doing all engine and tranny mounts, center bearing, guibo, dogbones, tranny output seal (it is weeping), should I just go ahead and replace the rear sub frame mounts or fill them with urethane?

Also, the rear control arm bushings, should they just be summarily replaced - which look like a real bugger to do?

My front end is all new Lemforder (again), so time to make the car "matched"

Thanks,
Scott

632 Regal
05-26-2009, 02:36 AM
I looked at mine and determined that they were not bad enough to replace. No tears and nothing squished looking so that vs the effort of replacing says they are still good.

lol

Scott C
05-26-2009, 05:44 PM
I looked at mine and determined that they were not bad enough to replace. No tears and nothing squished looking so that vs the effort of replacing says they are still good.

lol

Thanks kind sir!

Scott

Scott C
05-31-2009, 11:36 AM
Well it looks like my driveshaft u-joint is bad - it is almost like it has detents in it to move to center (both axes). Only noticed this after separation to put on new center bearing. Crap - this is gonna cost. Tell me that I am missing something and that it should act this way - please....

I see that it is not a good thing to have the u-joint replaced - looks like BMA or Arizona Autohaus for a new driveshaft - will search for rebuilt but not feeling the love today...

Scott.

PS - found that engine mounts were compressed about 1/4", tranny mounts were squashed quite a bit and one front tranny mount was not even tight.

Scott C
06-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Found a place in texas that has shipped one out for about $400. I found several places that had them for about $340 - $400+++ but this place seemed real (I talked with a gentleman there - precision (not Chinese) U-Joints, do this all the time, had them in stock - shipped fully assembled with center bearing installed). Gonna be painful waiting for this to show up - guess I can finish the tranny seal as well as the dogbones.

Sometimes I talk to myself ;)