PDA

View Full Version : Low Battery... or Something Else?

ElNormo
05-24-2009, 05:34 PM
I've got a 1989 535i (225K miles) that's refusing to start. I've run the battery down a few times over the last year or so, and this is different. This morning, the solenoid clicked loudly, I could hear the starter motor running, but the engine refused to turn over. Now, this evening, I just here a light moan from under the hood... no clicking.

I metered the battery, 9.6 volts. Seems low, but normally I would still hear the starter turning, right? The interior lights fire right up, which is not indicative of a battery problem.

I just filled with gas a day or two ago, so unless it's bad gas, there's plenty in the tank.

Other places to check? Starter motor? I know there's a similar thread going on now (Car won't start; suspect fuel problem), am I in the same boat?

Thanks for any advice!

Norman

whiskychaser
05-24-2009, 05:44 PM
I've got a 1989 535i (225K miles) that's refusing to start. I've run the battery down a few times over the last year or so, and this is different. This morning, the solenoid clicked loudly, I could hear the starter motor running, but the engine refused to turn over. Now, this evening, I just here a light moan from under the hood... no clicking.

I metered the battery, 9.6 volts. Seems low, but normally I would still hear the starter turning, right? The interior lights fire right up, which is not indicative of a battery problem.

I just filled with gas a day or two ago, so unless it's bad gas, there's plenty in the tank.

Other places to check? Starter motor? I know there's a similar thread going on now (Car won't start; suspect fuel problem), am I in the same boat?

Thanks for any advice!

Norman
Solenoid that sounds like a machine gun is a dead give away for a low battery. 9.6V confirms it. I bet you can jump start it. When you have the question has got to be why is the battery so low?- duff battery or duff alternator?

ElNormo
05-24-2009, 05:46 PM
Solenoid that sounds like a machine gun is a dead give away for a low battery. 9.6V confirms it. I bet you can jump start it. When you have the question has got to be why is the battery so low?- duff battery or duff alternator?

Yeah I guess normally I have a tendency to run it all the way down :). My chime is broken, so I often leave the lights on and not notice the idiot-warning on the dash. I'll go hook up the charger tonight and check it in the morning.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll let you know how it works out.

Norman

genphreak
06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
u need 12V for the ECU, so u better find some electrons and stick em in first :)

Ross
06-04-2009, 10:54 AM
9.6 volts. that battery is dead as disco.

Tiger
06-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Yep... dead... dead and really dead.

632 Regal
06-04-2009, 12:38 PM
http://www.fourcourtshostel.com/image_uploads/disco-stu.gif
9.6 volts. that battery is dead as disco.