PDA

View Full Version : UUC Short Shifter Slop

ahlem
05-23-2009, 08:55 PM
I need some quick thoughts on eliminating slop on my 1990 535i. My son is using the car for a couple weeks and is leaving for 500 miles away destinations on Monday morning. He's had it for a couple weeks and since he left I noticed the growing play in the shifter. Is this a setscrew type of adjustment? He's really mechanical but I'd rather fix it fast before he heads back. Do you solve this problem from the top of the car or under?

Jehu
05-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Sounds like the selector rod from what I understand. I just had a UUC Evo3 SSK installed and the shifter still has the same amount of play. The kit i believe came with new bushings for the rod but the designallows for play in the shifter as described on the UUC site under the Dual Sheer Selector Rod.

ahlem
05-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Well, I got the car in the air and crawled under there to take a look. There is a bushing that mounts to the transmission tunnel about 2" aft of the shifter pivot. It appears that bushing is allowing some extra play. I didn't have enough time to do anything with it other than spray some white lithium grease before the car had to go away for a couple weeks. I will have to check the possible linkage points for excess play once the car comes back for a longer period of time.