PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Woes - The Final chapter (I HOPE)

vping
05-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Picked up the car and it never felt better. Shifts through the gears quite nicely and it even had reverse! He wants me to drive it as much as I can and bring it back in two weeks for a check up. I took it out for about 100 miles last night and it performed flawlessly. It does have the sport trans too which is never realized that was what the "A" and "M" were for.

ScottyWM
05-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Glad it got sorted out! Unless your trans is different than mine, that's not what the A and M are for. Sport mode is activated when you shift down out of drive into 3rd. The dash will show "S3" instead of "ED". Try it, you'll like it. Also very useful for driving in the mountains (engine braking).

The A and M are for auto and manual. It's normally in A. If you change it to M, then it forces the transmission into a manual shift mode and locks it into the gear selected with the shifter. This is good for winter driving when you want to avoided wheel spin at stoplights (put it in M and 2nd gear), but little else from my experience. I suppose you could put it in M and shift through the gears yourself, but it's not like shifting an MG!

Rus
05-22-2009, 09:41 AM
+1 on the A/M switch. Use it for winter driving. It is not a sport mode shift selection unless you are looking to shift your way back to the mechanic :-p

Tiger
05-22-2009, 10:14 AM
Sport mode is simple... just select the gear below 'D.' You will know the difference immediately.

vping
05-22-2009, 12:51 PM
OK will do after work and thanks for the A/M difference.

ArnZ!
05-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Good to hear you got it sorted out.

vping
05-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Well I like the S3! You can realy feel the engine breaking.

mzarifkar
05-23-2009, 10:39 AM
vping,
What exactly were your symptoms and what exactly did you have them do?
My automatic shudders on hard accelarating, holds onto 1st gear too long, and has for all practical purposes no reverse

Mordan
05-23-2009, 01:17 PM
as far as I know sport mode is different. It is a switch S on my car, It also has
E for economy and 123 for pure manual
Just below D is just 3rd gear.

How do you go to the red line without being in manual? for me it is the S.

vping
05-25-2009, 06:43 AM
vping,
What exactly were your symptoms and what exactly did you have them do?
My automatic shudders on hard accelarating, holds onto 1st gear too long, and has for all practical purposes no reverse

I'd stop driving it ASAP before major damage occurs. I did not not have shuddering yet but the reverse was gone. When I went to the shop, the clutches were gone and has to be replaced. If you continue to drive it something could explode and cause more $$$damage than you were originally in for. I had them rebuild the box and the car is great now.

Vince

Tiger
05-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Told you... very profound difference... however, a bit scary to use around a corner... knowing you got so much power making a right turn... might be a tad too fast...