PDA

View Full Version : A bit OT: Recommendations on oil for a 2.0 CLK, 150k, 2k per year

leicesterboy15
05-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I am posting here because the MB forums are not that great from what I have seen and I really rate you guys on here! Now enough of that.

I have a 1997 CLK 2.0 that I need to service but I'm stuck on which oil to go for, I went for Mobil 1 15-50 fully syn for my 540i, the CLK is on 153k but the main thing is it only covers about 2000 miles per year and mainly short distances. I know this is the worst thing to do to an engine so I wanted your opinions on the oil that would cope best with this scenario.

Mr._Graybeard
05-22-2009, 03:07 AM
For MB forums, you might want to check out benzworld.org. It's got pretty good technical content for later-model Mercedes, plenty of traffic and an international membership.

As for oil, I don't think you want a 50 weight, especially on short trips when the engine might get to optimum operating temperature only briefly.

I found this on the Internet -- it's for US cars, but it refers to oils that fall under Mercedes' 229 standards -- as you can see, they're all 30- and 40-weight oils.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

Your owner's manual should specify whether to use oils that meet Merc's 229.1, 229.3, 229.5 or 229.51 standard.

BTW, I found that URL on Benzworld.

BMW4LIFE
05-22-2009, 03:30 AM
I am posting here because the MB forums are not that great from what I have seen and I really rate you guys on here! Now enough of that.

I have a 1997 CLK 2.0 that I need to service but I'm stuck on which oil to go for, I went for Mobil 1 15-50 fully syn for my 540i, the CLK is on 153k but the main thing is it only covers about 2000 miles per year and mainly short distances. I know this is the worst thing to do to an engine so I wanted your opinions on the oil that would cope best with this scenario.

hey do a search....shogun posted this site that talk all about oil...i mean ALL.

they even get down to the molecular structure!!!

from what i remember i would go with a lite weight oil something in the range of 10-30 or 5-30

to be honest this is what i would do

check the owner's man. and see what they rec. that would be my first choice...and another thing...stick with mobile 1

Ferret
05-22-2009, 04:47 AM
stick with mobile 1

I wont ever go back to Mobil 1 again after reading two independant real world tests where their Mobil 1 samples came out worse than most of the budget brands.

leicesterboy15
05-22-2009, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep them coming! Ferret - interesting what you say about Mobil 1, any personal experiences with it? Im curious as I am running Mobil 1 at the moment!

I've checked the owners manual and its definitely for non-techies! It details in great depth every last function but has no mechanical details whatsoever, there are no engine details at all (unless I am missing one of the manuals), doesn't list the oil capacities or any technical figures. I know from the service history that MB have always used Shell helix but there are no details on viscosity.

I'll check out the MB link and do a search but please keep your personal opinions coming!