PDA

View Full Version : Trans Program "See owners Manaul"

bad2buck
05-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Trans Program "See owners Manaul" HAHA what are you going to find in the manaul nothing.. (oh take to dealer) I have a 92 BMW 525I and I just changed the trans Fluid and filter and am still Having the Trans program come on. Not as often but still comes on and limps home. What should I do next to self Dio. Please help.. Next step take to a transmission shop to look at it.

shogun
05-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Next step: find a dealer with a good diagnosis system, like the OEM DIS which BMW dealers have, not this cheap diagnosis tools which cannot read that much out of the system.
i assume you know how to correctly refill trans fluid? Switching thru the gears etc.
How did you check the level? How did you check the trans fluid temperature when checking the level?

JD525IA
05-21-2009, 11:16 AM
Trans Program "See owners Manaul" HAHA what are you going to find in the manaul nothing.. (oh take to dealer) I have a 92 BMW 525I and I just changed the trans Fluid and filter and am still Having the Trans program come on. Not as often but still comes on and limps home. What should I do next to self Dio. Please help.. Next step take to a transmission shop to look at it.

Since you have the same year/model as I do, I assume your tranny has a dipstick. My mechanic was able to pull codes on my tranny when I had issues. Check the dipstick with the car running and the engine warm.

You say you STILL have the TRANS PROG error? How often does it happen?

I did read that a low battery/bad alternator would cause this error as well, because the power to the tranny control is borderline or insufficient. Check the votage while the car is running. My dying battery did cause this to happen to me one time.

Did you get the TRANS PROG right away? Did you try cycling thru the gears? I do know that you should also not overfill the transmission. Did you use Dextron III fluid?

A fluid/filter change should not mess up the tranny.

Whenever things act up, always start with the basics and the most obvious.

JD

632 Regal
05-21-2009, 02:04 PM
low fluid level can trigger it also. If your level is good try to reset the computers to flush out the old codes... worth a try.

whiskychaser
05-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Next step: find a dealer with a good diagnosis system, like the OEM DIS which BMW dealers have, not this cheap diagnosis tools which cannot read that much out of the system.
i assume you know how to correctly refill trans fluid? Switching thru the gears etc.
How did you check the level? How did you check the trans fluid temperature when checking the level?
x1
It could be low ATF, low battery, bad switches, bad speed sensors etc. BMW dealers here only charge about £40 to run a diagnostic. Cheaper than new ATF and filter and better than hit and hope. Just cross your fingers it doesnt come up with code 100.