PDA

View Full Version : E39 front bumper help

johngreenedc
05-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Just picked up a 2002 530i, sport, step w/ 81k. I have been driving a 1992 525i, manual, 175k since new and was not used to the lower 530. I rode over a parking curb and when I reversed the bumper caught and I now have the separation of the bumper at the fender. I understand there are several clips and fasteners that hold everthing together.

I have searched the forums but have not found a good DIY. Has anybody fixed this? Or can point me in the right direction. I don't have a Bently yet (for this car); but I don't know if it covers this. If somebody with a Bently could let me know, I will get the Bently sooner rather than later.

Thanks in advance.
John

632 Regal
05-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi John,

Not a ton of stuff here on the E39s yet, I would venture to bring it up on ramps and study how it is put together then start to disassemble until you can work with the bumper and it will hopefully pop back into position if nothing tore.

johngreenedc
05-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Hi John,

Not a ton of stuff here on the E39s yet, I would venture to bring it up on ramps and study how it is put together then start to disassemble until you can work with the bumper and it will hopefully pop back into position if nothing tore.

Thanks. This is what I will be doing sometime this week. I know the E34 is the "king of the hill" in this forum since I been active off and on for the last few years with my 1992 525i (whicih is staying in the family with my son).

Ross
05-19-2009, 08:38 AM
This should help
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=DT63&mospid=47587&hg=51&fg=15
Lots of plastic stuff that breaks easily. Good news is that you can do with about half the fasteners bodged or missing.

johngreenedc
05-19-2009, 07:19 PM
I have already looked at the diagram, but thanks. I was hoping to see some real pics and/or hear from someone who has done the repair for any tips.

GoldenEagleFan
05-20-2009, 06:10 PM
I have already looked at the diagram, but thanks. I was hoping to see some real pics and/or hear from someone who has done the repair for any tips.

Inside each front wheel well at the bottom are two machine screws that need to be removed. I would suspect something might be broke here if your bumper is separated from the fender. The next trick is the plastic inserts in the front grill need to be removed. (the ones each side of the license plate). If you get on your knees and look at the top surface of these pieces, each side has two plastic retainers that needs to be removed. Take a needle nose pliers and and flat tip screwdriver and carefully pry out the middle section. These are expander plugs and pulling out the middle section allows you to remove the plastic retainer. Now remove the plastic grill inserts. Under these, looking up is one larger bolt on each side that needs to be removed.

You can now grab the bumper and slide it forward and off. When the bumper is replaced, there is a groove on the bumper and a plastic retainer on the fender on each side of the fender the bumper slides into. Maybe you got lucky and this just popped out.

Good luck, hope your damage is minimal....

johngreenedc
05-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks GoldenEagleFan. Sorry to wait so long to post but I did the repair and forgot to check for anymore replies. The hardest part of the rerpair was getting the car jacked up enough to remove the wheel for more space to work. After that I tremoved the lower wheel liners on the front and was able to see the problem.

When the bumper overode the parking curb stop and I reversed the car the bottom part of the bumper was then pulled forward, and the outer part was pulled off of the bracket (part #27 on the realoem diagram). I unbolted the bracket, slid it back on the sleeve that is part of the bumper, and then rebolted the bracket while my son held the bumper in the proper position.

I think the bracekt and sleeve are designed to "breakaway" in this fashion to avoid major damage. Later I will be tightening up the passenger side so I will try to document with photos.

Thanks again,
John