PDA

View Full Version : e34 windshield replacement.. $500! Really?

jbraswell
05-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Is there any way around this? My windshield is broken and the windshield guys I've talked to say that they don't think they can re-use my moulding because it is a little dry. I don't think I'm a tightwad, I've spent a ton of money on this car, but I can't bring myself to pay $250 for two rubber strips. From the research I've done so far there seems to be no way around it, though.. So who has replaced their windshield for less than $500 and how'd you go about doing it?

repenttokyo
05-14-2009, 09:58 AM
I paid well over $500 for mine. but i was in Canada at the time.

Bo525i
05-14-2009, 11:28 AM
A scrapyard might have a useable one for far less, just a thought! ;)

Tiger
05-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Check out glass.net... windshield.net is interesting... they have price for just the windshield... $139 that you can pick up yourself. So basically, they charge $100 to install it.

Find out how much are those parts that you need from BMA.

nirvana19
05-14-2009, 01:54 PM
Cost me $175 installed, not OEM obviously (I think I went safelite) and they used a generic seal instead of the prohibitively expensive BMW one, but it honestly looks perfectly fine if not better on my black car. Very difficult to justify paying as much as 1/4 of the value of the car for a piece of glass.

Tiger
05-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I know... it is only glass. When did you had yours replaced? My current MB is done by Safelite too.. Did they charge you extra for the seals like the original poster said?

repenttokyo
05-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Cost me $175 installed, not OEM obviously (I think I went safelite) and they used a generic seal instead of the prohibitively expensive BMW one, but it honestly looks perfectly fine if not better on my black car. Very difficult to justify paying as much as 1/4 of the value of the car for a piece of glass.

what do you mean by 'generic seal' - you mean you no longer have the window trim around the front of your car?

myles
05-14-2009, 03:58 PM
I've done the windshield on both of my E34s. I spent a bit over US$1000 on doing my preferred car the right way, genuine glass, with new genuine trim strips. But it was only about US$200 on my other one with a generic locally made glass with a generic rubber trim around the edge. I'm glad I went with the options that I did because it gave the right result for each car. There is a very very slight wind noise on the generic one, but not something that's ever going to annoy me.

jbraswell
05-14-2009, 04:53 PM
Well I was perfectly fine with the idea of a generic moulding, but no one will do it! I've tried Safelite, Binswanger, and at least 5 local installers and they all want me to buy factory trim. BMA has the pieces, but they are still $102 per side.. I just can't justify spending that much on two trim pieces for this car

Mordan
05-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Well I was perfectly fine with the idea of a generic moulding, but no one will do it! I've tried Safelite, Binswanger, and at least 5 local installers and they all want me to buy factory trim. BMA has the pieces, but they are still $102 per side.. I just can't justify spending that much on two trim pieces for this car

yea some parts are way overpriced. how much do you think cost stupid little seals for convertible E30? 55 bloody euros for a a 2 feet ****ing rubber seal. there is 4 of them and the main front seal costs 200 euros if I recall correctly.

I wanted to replace the rubber seals around the doors on my E34. i run away hearing the price.

jbraswell
05-14-2009, 05:16 PM
Just got off the phone with a local shop and they said they would do the windshield for $170 installed with new clips re-using my old moudlings.. And he would bring a used moulding that he already has in the event that one of mine breaks.

Ken35i
05-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I paid about $450AUD not long ago for a new windscreen. Had to wait a few days apparently there was only 1 in Melbourne...They did away with the factory mouldings etc. Instead they used a continuous rubber moulding from the side, along the top and to the other side; it doesnt leak or create any noticeable wind noise.
Oh and I don't think wreckers/junk yards are allowed to sell windscreens because, here at leased, it's a road worthy issue.

Tiger
05-14-2009, 05:52 PM
I am glad it worked out for you... good job!

sbihue
05-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Is there any way around this? My windshield is broken and the windshield guys I've talked to say that they don't think they can re-use my moulding because it is a little dry. I don't think I'm a tightwad, I've spent a ton of money on this car, but I can't bring myself to pay $250 for two rubber strips. From the research I've done so far there seems to be no way around it, though.. So who has replaced their windshield for less than $500 and how'd you go about doing it?

$500 seems to be on the higher side. I had mine replace last year (April 08) for $275. It was an OEM glass. One of my moldings had blown off so got those replaced with new ones as well.

Tiger
05-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Who did you use? Sigla glass at that price?

jbraswell
05-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Windshield is replaced and it looks great.. My trim was too dry to re-use so he used an aftermarket moulding which actually looks better than stock IMO.. Also used Pilkington glass, which is pretty decent quality from what I've heard. I'm very happy with it for the price

repenttokyo
05-15-2009, 05:46 PM
Windshield is replaced and it looks great.. My trim was too dry to re-use so he used an aftermarket moulding which actually looks better than stock IMO.. Also used Pilkington glass, which is pretty decent quality from what I've heard. I'm very happy with it for the price

your mileage may vary, but my pilkington windshield began to chip and pit almost immediately after installation.

Ross
05-16-2009, 07:11 AM
OE glass and moldings will set you back near $800. The moldings are half of it.
Beware of rust promoting bogus stick on rubber trim or reusing the old moldings by caulking them in place. The channel around the glass that is designed to allow water to drain off into the cowl area gets blocked with all the goop they use and will hold water with predictable consequences.

jbraswell
05-16-2009, 04:08 PM
OE glass and moldings will set you back near $800. The moldings are half of it.
Beware of rust promoting bogus stick on rubber trim or reusing the old moldings by caulking them in place. The channel around the glass that is designed to allow water to drain off into the cowl area gets blocked with all the goop they use and will hold water with predictable consequences.

I had read about his in another thread and asked the tech about that.. These mouldings have a recessed outer area to drain water, its kind of hard to explain, I'll try to get a picture up soon. The other aftermarket mouldings I was shown by another glass company definitely seemed like they could've caused some problems as they were designed to be glued inside the channel.