PDA

View Full Version : Erratic Fuel Gauge

sbihue
05-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Hi All,

I already searched the arhives and read through all the posts but havn;'t found a definitive answer.

The fuel gauge on my M50 never goes beyond 3/4 when full and then shows different levels of fuel remaining (sometimes empty and then goes back to middle etc.)

Can be resolved by replacing the fuel sending unit or the fuel floats only. What are the part nos for a 1995 M50 (build date 07/94) and what is the source for these.

Thanks Much
SB

whiskychaser
05-14-2009, 12:59 AM
Hi All,

I already searched the arhives and read through all the posts but havn;'t found a definitive answer.

The fuel gauge on my M50 never goes beyond 3/4 when full and then shows different levels of fuel remaining (sometimes empty and then goes back to middle etc.)

Can be resolved by replacing the fuel sending unit or the fuel floats only. What are the part nos for a 1995 M50 (build date 07/94) and what is the source for these.

Thanks Much
SB

Part numbers here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD53&mospid=47404&btnr=16_0190&hg=16&fg=05
If you want new you will only get them from the dealer. Never had the pump out so dont know if its possible to move the float by hand to make sure its the cause

russiankid
05-14-2009, 06:11 AM
I was never able to take apart the float without breaking the unit. The float is just a tube with a float inside. You can buy a new unit from autohausaz.com. I bought one from there a week ago, installed it a few days ago, and everything works perfect. Only problem you will have is you will have to cut off the ring terminals that are soldered onto the fuel pump wiring and solder on spades.