PDA

View Full Version : Tansmission Woes - Is it worth it?

vping
05-12-2009, 12:09 PM
My bimmer is 19 years old with 142K. I did all I could with the trans. aside from removing it myself but I just don't have the time with all the other project. Estimates are from $1,600-&2,000 all parts and labor of the "known" stuff. If there is somethine else, it'll go higher. 12 month 12,000 miles warranty from a local guy who did my Taurus a few years back.

It's still a rust free car with new tires, brakes and struts all around. Perfect interior with almost no wear. Dealer serviced, it's whole life.

My daughter is going to get her license soon and it was supposed to be hers as a first yet really safe solid car.

Whatta y'all think? You've seen the before and after pics.

angusbn
05-12-2009, 12:31 PM
I personally wouldn't spend that kind of coin on a reconditioned tranny - but that's me.

whiskychaser
05-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Just to cheer you up, you would pay about £1200 for a recon tranny with 12 months warranty in the UK. I guess labour would be another £300+. If you dont want to strip the gearbox yourself I think there are only 4 choices:
1. Put a recon in (either yourself or pay somebody)
2. Convert to a manual
3. Sell the car as is
4. Chance a used box from a breakers
The value of the car to you and available cash/time will be deciding factors

Mordan
05-12-2009, 05:20 PM
if the car is so good as you are saying. I would do it. Especially if the tranny has the sport mode. 535 6 inline engine in good condition will increase in value. I wouldn't do it on a 530.

BMW4LIFE
05-12-2009, 11:08 PM
It's still a rust free car with new tires, brakes and struts all around. Perfect interior with almost no wear. Dealer serviced, it's whole life.

My daughter is going to get her license soon and it was supposed to be hers as a first yet really safe solid car.

why would you even need to ask...

think of it this way...if you sell it you wont get crap...and then your gonna have to spend some more G's to get a car for her...then you dont even know what cond they will be...

it worth fixing it...i would look around some more though...maybe junk yard...or ebay...or etc

by the say...the car is like a tank...super safe for you daughter...

i remember a civic ran into to...her driver door was caved in and she coulnt even open it...and all i had were few scratches that arent even noticable

ha!

"BMW4LIFE" for a reason! ;)

Tiger
05-13-2009, 08:37 AM
I would look for another transmission... used that have been rebuilt before crash... or rebuilt one cheap on internet with good guarantee. The price you are quoted for rebuild kit is way too high.

vping
05-14-2009, 12:49 PM
I appreciate everyone's feedback and oppinions.

I decided to do it and it's $1900 cash. Even though I replaced the filter 10 miles ago, there was a ton of metal bits in the bottom of the pan. I'm lucky I did not do any more damage. It's getting a complete workover and he sends out the torque converter to be rebuilt. In terms of being way too high, this is the average price around here. Long Island is one of the most expensive places to live in this country so you kinda grow expecting to pay as much as we do for stuff.

I told the guy I MUST see the box while it's out and in pieces. He's pretty cool and has owned and worked at this shop since 1972. I went by this morning and the clutches were toast. He'll go over it with a fine toothed comb and make sure it's all buttoned up well. Worked on it all day today, part of tomorrow and I should have it back Monday afternoon. I felt the car was worth it and will hopefully get some new pics for it soon.

I would have loved to tackle this myself but am in the middle of:

3 engine builds - 2 for MGB's and one TD.
1 - 1965 MGB restoration
1 - 1967 MGB GT "awakening" - I'm going over all electronics, hydraulics and mechaicals to make sure it'l start and stop befor I hand it over to the body guy.
My '74 MGB needs a windsheild.
My '67 MGB GT still needs carb work and I need to sort out the weak clutch.
I've got parts around from 6 different cars that I am constantly selling.
A 1972 MG Midget appeard out of nowhere in my driveway.

My 1952 MG TD has been sleeping for 20 years and needs to wake up soon.

With all this on my plate, I had to have someone do something for me. Oh and I need some Harley Davidson assistance. Anyone game to help? :-)

Cheers
Vince

vping
05-14-2009, 12:51 PM
How do I know if the tranny has the sport mode?

Tiger
05-14-2009, 01:00 PM
That's pretty simple I guess... most of the time, you just select the gear under D... 4 or 3 and you will see the dash says S for sport mode.

Mordan
05-14-2009, 04:45 PM
That's pretty simple I guess... most of the time, you just select the gear under D... 4 or 3 and you will see the dash says S for sport mode.

yea I guess. I have it on my E30. the round thing below the gear selector
at first before buying the car, i was disappointed by the automatic gearbox. but now I appreciate it very much and here in Europe it is actually pretty rare. Most cars are manual on the premise auto drinks more petrol. now I love it but without the sport option, I would hate it.

http://www.mordan.biz/bmw/e30_interior.jpg

whiskychaser
05-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Never seen that round button before. Thought the mode selector only came like this. Live and learn

ScottyWM
05-15-2009, 07:25 AM
Vince, glad you made that decision. My E36 is being driven by my 17 year old daughter. It is not real pretty, scratches and dings all around. But mechanically it seems to be bullet proof. I'm sure you're daughter will like yours. And as her dad you will feel better knowing the mechanical history of it, and that it is a relatively safe hunk of steel - even if it doesn't have 10 airbags in it.

But I guess you don't want to come down to NC and help me with my MG with all you've got going!!

vping
05-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Well I've got the sport mode then :-)

Scott,

If I were rich and unemployed, I'd be at everyone's house all the time helping out.

Cheers
Vince