PDA

View Full Version : 92 bmw 525i Vibration

bad2buck
05-12-2009, 02:09 AM
hello again.. Well I have a vibration throughout the whole car at about 45mph, I put the car on a lift (no tires touchin the ground) and got it up to again 45mph and yes I got the same thing. I am going to order new motor mounts, transmission mounts, flex disc, center bearing, yes I am getting the self locking bolts also for the flex disc. Am I on the right track. It a 92 BMW 525i (Automatic) should I be looking at something other than that. Oh yes I checked the balance TWICE.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-12-2009, 02:22 AM
yup, I think you are on the right track...sounds like a drive train rotational problem.

BMWDriver
05-12-2009, 06:04 PM
It's usually the arms and bushings up front that need to be changed. Comes up a lot on the e34. Mine were changed two years ago.

russiankid
05-12-2009, 06:26 PM
It's usually the arms and bushings up front that need to be changed. Comes up a lot on the e34. Mine were changed two years ago.

Vibration is still there on the lift.;)

Bill R.
05-12-2009, 06:56 PM
hello again.. Well I have a vibration throughout the whole car at about 45mph, I put the car on a lift (no tires touchin the ground) and got it up to again 45mph and yes I got the same thing. I am going to order new motor mounts, transmission mounts, flex disc, center bearing, yes I am getting the self locking bolts also for the flex disc. Am I on the right track. It a 92 BMW 525i (Automatic) should I be looking at something other than that. Oh yes I checked the balance TWICE.

Did you load the rear suspension, as in put some stands under the rear suspension on each side so that the drive axles are in a normal location and not hanging down.?

Typically driveshaft,center bearing, guibo etc vibrations show up at a lower speed around 30mph up to 40, I don't think motor mounts or trans mounts will help at all... I'd also look at the ujoints themselves with it running up in the air and the cv's on the rear axles.

russiankid
05-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I have a vibration between 50mph and 60mph. It isn't as bad when the car is warmed up, I am thinking its the transmission as it is failing. Front suspension has everything new but LCA.

Sorry for thread jack,