PDA

View Full Version : 535 distributor seal leaking...

paanta
05-11-2009, 02:02 PM
I've got an oil leak from the seal inside the distributor/timing cover. #9 in this pic: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD13&mospid=47408&btnr=11_0152&hg=11&fg=10

Can that be removed without pulling the upper timing chain cover? I've used machine screws to extract seals before, but I dunno if that one is a candidate for this method.

If the cover has to come off, what all is involved? Looking through the Bentley it seems like kind of a PITA, but it might be worth it to have the leak taken care of. Dunno if oil in the distributor is causing any running problems...

Martin in Bellevue
05-11-2009, 02:39 PM
Not that diffucult to remove upper timing cover. Take care with the headgasket at the bottom profile and replace the black plastic dish along with the 2 side gaskets.

paanta
05-11-2009, 03:43 PM
That's good to know.

Still, I'd rather do it the 5-minutes way than the 60-minute way if at all possible. My luck lately, I'd snap one of the mounting bolts and leave myself with more oil leaks than I started with.

Jeff N.
05-11-2009, 07:49 PM
It's not that bad as Martin says. Get new side gaskets for sure. You'll also need a hex drive socket to pull the distributor rotor shaft after you remove the rotor. To get the two lower cover bolts, it's really tight with the fan and the radiator hose. You'll need to pull the fan for sure and I can't recall if you need to pull the hose to the side or not but I think you do. When removing the cover, be sure to carefully note what bolts come from what hole. I can't recall for sure but I think some are longer than others. If you put a short one in a long whole, it's easy to strip when you torque it.

And whatever you do, don't drop anything down the front cover when you have it off! :D