PDA

View Full Version : SRS Light

Golgade
05-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I swear everytime I turn around this car has something else wrong. The SRS light has now been coming on. It stays on for about 2 min after driving and then goes off. Why is it shutting off? I am going to buy the reset tool this week but is there anyway to find out if it is throwing a code or not?

shogun
05-11-2009, 12:30 AM
I have reset tools in the FS section, that is for SRS/airbag, inspection, oil service and also annual service reminder (the clock sign, for those countries where this system is used) resetting.
But it is only for resetting, not for a diagnosis. And the fault must be repaired first, otherwise the light comes back after resetting.

How is your battery voltage? Maybe the battery is a bit low?

glen-sj
05-11-2009, 08:07 AM
I swear everytime I turn around this car has something else wrong. The SRS light has now been coming on. It stays on for about 2 min after driving and then goes off. Why is it shutting off? I am going to buy the reset tool this week but is there anyway to find out if it is throwing a code or not?

I also have the same problem on the 1995 530. Let me know how the reset tool performs. Is it the Peake SRS reset tool?

Thanks.

Gearhead
07-16-2009, 01:46 PM
I had the same thing start on mine last week. i'm doing searches on troubleshooting this, but if you can post anything you've found so far I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

John

Tiger
07-16-2009, 02:30 PM
I have SHogun's reset tool. It is a great tool... way better than Peake and much cheaper. I never had to reset the SRS light though. I did reset the oil and service light and was super easy.

Buy Shogun's tool... you will not be disappointed. They work for all the later BMW's too

shogun
07-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Thanks, Tiger.
But I have to mention, that tool does not do a magic repair of a fault. First a fault has to be repaired and then the reset tool can reset the light, otherwise the light comes on immy if the fault is not repaired.
It works of course when accidentally for example the steering wheel has been removed without disconnecting the battery first. And after a repair.
And the good point is that besides the airbag/SRS it also sets bag the oil/inspection/annual service (the clock sign in some countries versions).

ringle
07-26-2009, 08:29 PM

The problem is most likely a faulty seat belt latch. Usually not worth the amount of $$$ the stealer wants. Just try resetting it as this has worked for many owners. The only adverse effect is if you are in an accident that triggers the airbags then the passenger side bag will always deploy regardless if there is someone in the passenger seat or not. Note: It will throw a code if you check them either via the stomp test (if you can get it to do this) or a code reader.

Golgade
07-26-2009, 10:16 PM
I reset it a few week ago with a cheapo, code scanner and it hasnt come back. Hopefully that will be the end of it.