PDA

View Full Version : 19lb fuel injectors questions

Chip
06-07-2004, 07:26 AM
OK-
For those of you that have installed 19lb fuel injectors.

What are the gains?

How many have upgraded the fuel regulator to a 3.5 bar? Is this needed?

Thanks-

winfred
06-07-2004, 09:09 AM
got em on both of my bimmers, gained about 1.5 mpg on each but i don't know how much of that is just being fresh clean units, no problems at all on the 535 but the higher flow screwed up the range/mpg function on my e30, it now thinks it gets around 40 mpg hwy. i am running stock 3 bar regulators on both

mholbrook
06-07-2004, 09:54 AM
I'm running the #19 injectors with 3.5 bar FPR. My old injectors were probably in there since new on a 194k engine. Pretty crusty. I have swapped back and forth with the 3.0 and 3.5 bar FPR and notice considerable response difference with the 3.5 as well as better gas mileage. My OBC is almost perfect with fuel mileage and I'm averaging 18.7 over the last 1500 miles and around 19.5 mixed driving in the last few months. My driving is California freeway commuting of a 26 mile one-way commute in traffic. Probably about 20 percent of my mileage is stop and go city driving. I intend to soon put my car on a CA smog machine at my friends shop to see how it tests out.

My car also has a Conforti chip for what that is worth.

Frankly, I highly recommend this setup since it updates the FI system considerably.

Robin-535im
06-07-2004, 11:02 AM
And how much did it set you back?

winfred
06-07-2004, 12:30 PM
i can't remember which one but some 944 porsches have a 3.5 that will bolt up for around $100

And how much did it set you back?

mrbmw1
06-07-2004, 12:45 PM
winfred what year is your e30 mine is a 87 is

Chip
06-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Check out this site
www.bahnbrenner.com

mholbrook
06-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Get the numbers off the Bahnbrenner site and then order from BMA. I think it was around $70 or so for the 3.5 FPR. The one to have is from the Porsche 944S. The 944S4 is 3.8 bar and would require some modification although only very minor and I have no experience with this FPR. The 3.5 bar from the 944S is a bolt in deal which looks exactly like the stock FPR.

BMA is the cheapest place to buy I believe.

Jeff N.
06-07-2004, 07:12 PM
A FPR that fits the Buick Grand National will bolt on the M30 fuel rail. You'll need a 90 degree T fitting to connect the fuel return line.

Jeff

i can't remember which one but some 944 porsches have a 3.5 that will bolt up for around $100

dan
06-07-2004, 07:22 PM
is the purpose of this mod to increase fuel mileage or gain performance or both? also are these factory fuel injectors for another model or are they aftermarket or something different. finally, is this mod for 3.5liter engines ?
thanks very much

winfred
06-07-2004, 11:35 PM
90 325ism

winfred what year is your e30 mine is a 87 is

mholbrook
06-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Regarding the purpose of the changing to #19 pound injectors. I believe it is to replace worn and old style injectors with a newer style cheaper alternative that has the potential to provide better performance (perhaps regain lost performance). At idle the Mustang #19 pound injectors flow slightly less than the stock injectors and thus the 3.5 bar FPR brings them more in line with what is required for stock idle and just off idle flow. The #19 injectors have potential to flow higher than the stock injector however and this may provide some performance increase. I don't see it so much as a performance modification as it is regaining lost performance and updating with a newer and more efficient fuel injector.

I bought my injectors for about $80 on eBay for a set of 8 used injectors. You can look up the numbers at www.fiveomotorsports.com and start looking. They are easy to find and cheap enough. You can buy a new set from five0 for the cost of one new injector from BMW. After I installed the injectors, I ran a couple cans of injector cleaner through the car. Not that it was necessary, the car ran great after the install of the injectors and the 3.5 fpr.

I also have a Buick Grand National adjustable FPR with the nipple added and ready to go. I'm into it for about $50 and will sell for that and I'll pay the shipping. Brand new in the box.

TC535i
06-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Mike... PM me. I'm interested in the FPR, we should grab lunch sometime (I work in Nasty City/Paradise Hills). Let's stay away from Mexican restaurants tho... (did you hear about the National City Swat Team yesterday?)

-Tim

Regarding the purpose of the changing to #19 pound injectors. I believe it is to replace worn and old style injectors with a newer style cheaper alternative that has the potential to provide better performance (perhaps regain lost performance). At idle the Mustang #19 pound injectors flow slightly less than the stock injectors and thus the 3.5 bar FPR brings them more in line with what is required for stock idle and just off idle flow. The #19 injectors have potential to flow higher than the stock injector however and this may provide some performance increase. I don't see it so much as a performance modification as it is regaining lost performance and updating with a newer and more efficient fuel injector.

I bought my injectors for about $80 on eBay for a set of 8 used injectors. You can look up the numbers at www.fiveomotorsports.com and start looking. They are easy to find and cheap enough. You can buy a new set from five0 for the cost of one new injector from BMW. After I installed the injectors, I ran a couple cans of injector cleaner through the car. Not that it was necessary, the car ran great after the install of the injectors and the 3.5 fpr.

I also have a Buick Grand National adjustable FPR with the nipple added and ready to go. I'm into it for about $50 and will sell for that and I'll pay the shipping. Brand new in the box.

Dan
06-08-2004, 04:54 PM

i appreciate the detailed response, this is comething i have been curious about for some time noww

Robin-535im
06-08-2004, 05:44 PM
A FPR that fits the Buick Grand National will bolt on the M30 fuel rail. You'll need a 90 degree T fitting to connect the fuel return line.

Jeff
Last I recall, something was off with the adjustment screw...

Do you notice a difference with a higher rated FPR?

Jeff N.
06-08-2004, 06:36 PM
Called the mfg and asked about it. They suggested I try something to verify it. Need some compressed air - trip x-town to my brother's which I haven't made yet.

If it's bad, they'll warranty it.

You can notice some diff if you crank it rich vs. lean. It's a pretty crude adjustment in the bigger picture, especially with a modded engine. My understanding is that modding the engine changes the V/E over the RPM curve and therefore you need to remap the fuel and ignition curves.

I suspect that on a more or less stock engine, an adjustable (not rising rate) FPR gives you some ability to dial in your FP to the injector flow and fine tune the A/F ratio.

..sheeh..technobabble.

How's everything with the new ride?

Jeff

Last I recall, something was off with the adjustment screw...

Do you notice a difference with a higher rated FPR?

Robin-535im
06-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Man were they tight! Some were under 10, and some of the cam lobes were shiny all around like the foot never lifted off. They are now between 12-13 and the car is much smoother at idle and starts better. One of the banjo bolts was a few threads backed out, so I cleaned and loctite'd them for good measure. The lobe nuts were torqued super tight too. Some of the faces were rounded even. I almost had to get out a breaker bar on that little 10mm wrench to get them loose! Well - not quite, but they were maybe 20 foot-pounds or so.

I'm finding a few things that make me think whoever worked on it wasn't trying to score points for style, if you get my drift. Green coolant, clutch cylinder that had never been bled, computer next to the DME just floating around instead of being mounted on a bracket, ... the list will probably grow as I get into it more.

That being said, the car is quite a ride. Sticiker in turns than anything I've ever driven, nice solid driveline, feels better than my old one even after $2000 in parts.

Robin

Jeff N.
06-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Wonder who did that - the D-man or his hired hitman Valentine. I guess that's why I always do my own work. :(

Sounds like it's all working out though...

Jeff