PDA

View Full Version : Alternator pulley screeching..

Bo525i
05-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Have had some horrible front end screeching going on these last couple of days, kinda got it pinpointed to the alt pulley by lubrificating the axel slightly (nothing hit the belt ;) ) and the screeeeeeeeeech diminished for now :(

Should I open it and grease the bearings, change the pulley only or is it best to consider a brand new alternator altogether?

Thx in advance..

whiskychaser
05-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Have had some horrible front end screeching going on these last couple of days, kinda got it pinpointed to the alt pulley by lubrificating the axel slightly (nothing hit the belt ;) ) and the screeeeeeeeeech diminished for now :(

Should I open it and grease the bearings, change the pulley only or is it best to consider a brand new alternator altogether?

Thx in advance..

Doubt if its the pulley itself. Its going to be the belt or the bearings. If it were my car I'd spray WD40 on the pulley where the belt runs. If it stopped screaming I'd know the belt was slipping. If not, I'd be replacing the belt with the alternator anyway;)

Tiger
05-04-2009, 06:43 PM
You need to check the tensioner pulley... take belt off and spin it... if you feel rattle or hear it, you need new one. Change your belt while you are at it.

Bo525i
05-04-2009, 07:07 PM
No. 6 right?

Tiger
05-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Yep... and 14 is a pulley too?

Bo525i
05-05-2009, 03:22 AM
Thx Tiger!
No. 14 is a so called Deflection pulley, i might just change that too!

Bo525i
05-08-2009, 03:30 AM
Fixed it, wasīnt the pulleys they all ran just fine.. All of a sudden my car started to loose charge while driving to the point where everything shut down.. all the lights dimmed, abs light came on @ 9.56 volts, the blinkers stopped working, @ 6.74 even the engine electronics wanted to shut down and so on.. Everytime the car reached those low low levels Iīd idle it for like 100m and the charge went up just enough for the electronics to work for a short time again, horrible way to drive, thank god I was close to home when that went on!

Turned out to be a shot alternator so I got hold of a new used one with only 69000 miles on it, cheap too :) Well took the old one out, mounted the new one and changed the belts while I was at it and now allīs back to normal. :)

632 Regal
05-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Been meaning to replace mine for 2 years due to same problem but it hasn't scared me enough to actually do it yet. Glad you got it fixed.

Fixed it, wasīnt the pulleys they all ran just fine.. All of a sudden my car started to loose charge while driving to the point where everything shut down.. all the lights dimmed, abs light came on @ 9.56 volts, the blinkers stopped working, @ 6.74 even the engine electronics wanted to shut down and so on.. Everytime the car reached those low low levels Iīd idle it for like 100m and the charge went up just enough for the electronics to work for a short time again, horrible way to drive, thank god I was close to home when that went on!

Turned out to be a shot alternator so I got hold of a new used one with only 69000 miles on it, cheap too :) Well took the old one out, mounted the new one and changed the belts while I was at it and now allīs back to normal. :)