PDA

View Full Version : Tips on pressing in the !@#$!@#$!@ control arm bushings

Vanguard
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm trying to press a set of Lemforder M5 bushings into my new control arms and the damn things won't go in straight. They start to go in and tip to one side. I've tried the damn things dry and then I tried with grease. I've tried swapping left to right and using the opposite side as well.

Anybody got any tips? I'm using a 12 ton hydraulic press with spacers and disks from HF ball joint kit.

Scott C
05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm trying to press a set of Lemforder M5 bushings into my new control arms and the damn things won't go in straight. They start to go in and tip to one side. I've tried the damn things dry and then I tried with grease. I've tried swapping left to right and using the opposite side as well.

Anybody got any tips? I'm using a 12 ton hydraulic press with spacers and disks from HF ball joint kit.

I had no problem but did use a 20 ton (which shouldnt make a diff). It is not a fun job if you haven't done it before. I used a spacer (pipe if i remember) to push out the old one and then same for putting in the new one - if that makes any sense. Any time it cocked at an angle, i stopped and restarted.

dennyg
05-03-2009, 09:42 PM
I bought the same set up from BMA. They pressed them in for me. I know it does not help for you this time but might help someone else who wants to buy the M5 style. They are not shaped like the typical 750/850 ones so I can see where you could run into trouble with them. Maybe call BMA and ask them how they do it?

shogun
05-03-2009, 09:53 PM
see how Gert made it, nice pics how to DIY
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/655459

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I just use the old fashioned giant C clamp and the adapters that came with it.

A lot of work, but it works

Vanguard
05-04-2009, 11:45 PM
I'm using an HF 12-ton hydraulic press and the adapters from an HF front end service kit. The damn bushings just keep going in cockeyed. The M5 bushings are lemforder and the arms are new febi arms, so there's nothing to press out.

I'm ready to give up and order a set of the bavauto 2-piece bushings.

632 Regal
05-05-2009, 12:12 AM
why febi arms? the lem bushings will surpass the life of the balljoint for sure! Anyways I would use the lemforder arms but this is not your problem at this time.

If the press can do it's job quickly simply freeze the bushings and heat the big ends of the arm... aim ready fire, should be a peice of cake. If not maybe there is not enough pressure or the febi arms are off size which I doubt.

Lube wont work since this is an intense pressure fit. Then again if big old bob can do this with a C-clamp I am wondering about the press your using. With the correct parts it shouldnt slip sideways. I don't get it. I put some in with a hammer and other garage items, once it starts even crooked it corrects and presses fine.

mzarifkar
05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm using an HF 12-ton hydraulic press and the adapters from an HF front end service kit. The damn bushings just keep going in cockeyed. The M5 bushings are lemforder and the arms are new febi arms, so there's nothing to press out.

I'm ready to give up and order a set of the bavauto 2-piece bushings.

I ordered the pre pressed arms and bushings from bav auto, only to find that it was not pre pressed. Called them, and they eventually settled to pay for a pro shop to pay for getting it pressed in. My plan B was otherwise tapping it in with a hammer.