PDA

View Full Version : LAD leak

ScottyWM
05-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Man, it's been one thing after another with my touring lately. I just last week replaced the rear muffler, again. 6 years ago it cost $215, this year it is $340. (Muffler place wanted over $1000, and couldn't believe it themselves.) Putting it on, I raised the driver side up and removed the wheel for better access. Then noticed the passenger side was pissing fluid all down it's wheel. Looks like it's coming from the top of the LAD shock, didn't seem to be leaking before I jacked it up. These damn things are over $800 a piece!! Two of those is almost blue book value of the car (about $3k)!

So, I guess I'll crawl under there and see if it's a repairable leak (bad line or fitting maybe?). If not, there must be a way to put on normal shocks and bypass the LAD system?

:(

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Yup,

Block the LAD at the accumulators and replace the rear shocks, springs and mounts.

You may wanna convert the pump to a non LAD and pull all the plumbing to prevent furture leaks

632 Regal
05-01-2009, 10:05 PM
you might have to loop the Lad, I read sometimes if you block it the pump hydrolocks.

ScottyWM
05-02-2009, 03:09 PM
I'll have to crawl under there next week and see where it's coming from. Sounds like I could convert to regular shocks a lot cheaper than replacing the hydraulic shocks. Any SUSP LVLNG error I need to be wary of?

632 Regal
05-03-2009, 01:53 AM
have you looked into parts cars and suppliers for old used stuff? these cars are plentiful in scrap variety these past few months.

I'll have to crawl under there next week and see where it's coming from. Sounds like I could convert to regular shocks a lot cheaper than replacing the hydraulic shocks. Any SUSP LVLNG error I need to be wary of?

shogun
05-03-2009, 10:20 AM
LAD shock repair is no big deal. Very simple built up actually. Mostly O-rings. And if so much Pentosin is leaking, that will be most probably a pressure hose.
If it is the small cylinder, that even can be repaired installed. See my website below, we disassembled a LAD shock completely and made pics.
No need to replace the pump if you really want to modify to standard shocks. just plug the regulating valve at the outlet to the bombs, so the incoming fluid will be resent to the Pentosin reservoir and then again to the pump. The pump used on the cars with LAD is a double vane pump, and that needs the circulation.
Go to www.bavauto.com, they have a self levelling elimination kit, and also a detailed instruction how to do, with drawings. And when you change to standard, then you also need new springs and shock mounts.
So better repair the LAD system and be happy with that.