PDA

View Full Version : The begining of the end (this forum)

632 Regal
04-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Brian C said it best:

Brian C. (http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/member.php?u=31) http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif 1995 525ia

Grand Master

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif OK...I just had to give my 2cts worth...
I really haven't had the time or need to participate in the forum's activities in a while. I've had too many family responsibilities to deal with and too many long nights driving. After I sold my E34, I liked to stay around and shoot the sh!t with others, have a little fun, and direct questions that I had an idea about to either people who might have the answers or to the ba-zillion bookmarks that I've saved with E34 info that might also help.

Then it started.

Gayle, you undoubtedly are a great person, and many of your insights are wonderfully different in a way that "we" here were not usually exposed to. At least not here on-line. But then...and I'm only speaking for myself...it seemed the more familiar and friendly you got, always addressing everyone by their names instead of their logins, being one who directed conversations to "stay focused", and publicly announcing that you wanted to have private conversations, the more...again, to me...it seemed that you wanted this to not just be A place to come, but YOUR place to come to. Just a few examples:

"Everyone's mailboxes are full after this episode. There has been a lot of PM going on. Everyone please clean them out so communication can resume."

"I will pm you and anyone else who needs it spelled out for them."

"Focus Winfred. We know you can do it."

"Winfred--You really have problems with focus, but hey, its ok. We all love you. What is a good thread without a little hijack now and then?"

"The grapevine also informed me that that my campaign to bring respect and civility to this place was seen as princess powers and an attempt to turn this into a girlie world."

I played along previously, but after a while, it seemed that all of the need for ORDER to the activities here just took away so much from the Bimmernut experience that I've decided to just fade away. The idea that we were just a bunch of uncivil, foul-mouthed guys who wanted to talk about cars, boobs, fart jokes, and occasionally anything else we wanted to was the reason most of us came here in the first place. We never apologized for being cavemen, because WE DIDN'T CARE. We didn't worry about female perspective on things such as order, focus and civility because we never had any, or at least many, females around. And then came your "campaign to bring respect and civility to this place" suddenly our freedom to be as we liked, was now not in step with your plans. It wasn't good, bad, or otherwise, it just was the way it was and I think we all kinda liked it that way. Most men don't take well to change, especially when others provoke that change, and...my thoughts alone, again...REALLY especially when women provoke that change for what we think are reasons we don't follow or agree with. And I think, really, that none of the change has been bad or good or anything else, it's just change, evolution.

I don't have ill feelings for ANYONE on this board. From the oldest fossils to the newest of newbies, everyone here has contributed to what "Bimmernut" is today. For me, it's just gotten to where it isn't as fun as it once was. I think a lot of that has to do with my personal life, but it seems more like work than fun to participate anymore. I'll still be around one in a while, but just in the background more.

Peace

Brian C.

BTW...........did we ever establish what ryan's job is yet???
;)

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?p=141115#post141115

shogun
04-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Looks like she gave up to educate a bunch of uncivil, foul-mouthed guys ;)

last activity:

08-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Replies: Happy birthday BigKriss
Views: Posted By Gayle

632 Regal
04-23-2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?p=139766

Jr ///M5
04-23-2009, 09:11 PM
This time of year for the past 6 or 7 years you couldn't contain the excitement of the board in anxious await for our annual gathering. Everyone would be making plans, planning the event and all the work that went into that one great day that would stick in the minds of everyone for years to come, and keep them coming back.

Gone is the spirit, the enthusiasim, the bond that set us apart from other forums. Like having a family, as the children grow up and leave an emptiness that is only filled by their return.

Over the many years that I have been a part of this board, even since before it's inception, I have made many strong friendships that still continue today and that is something I am forever grateful.

I miss the camaraderie of old, and doubt that kind of bond will ever surface again.

Cheers to you all, here's to the old times, the old timers, and all the friendships along the way. The cars bring you here, it's up to you to make the friendships.

JR

BennyM
04-23-2009, 11:58 PM
So this explains why the board feels so slow these days. I was mostly absent for a couple years and when I came back I wondered what happened to Bill R, Matt P with his imported M5 touring, Jr//M5, Jon K, Quintine from Australia, Bruno and the like.... now I know. Glad to see a few of you old-timers are still around. You guys remember Red Five the track car? I miss those days...like 2001 to 2004. I may not have been the most knowledgeable, but back then this forum was my home on the internet. I wish some of you would stick around, give the board another chance. Lord knows I could use the added wisdom and insight.

BennyM

This time of year for the past 6 or 7 years you couldn't contain the excitement of the board in anxious await for our annual gathering. Everyone would be making plans, planning the event and all the work that went into that one great day that would stick in the minds of everyone for years to come, and keep them coming back.

Gone is the spirit, the enthusiasim, the bond that set us apart from other forums. Like having a family, as the children grow up and leave an emptiness that is only filled by their return.

Over the many years that I have been a part of this board, even since before it's inception, I have made many strong friendships that still continue today and that is something I am forever grateful.

I miss the camaraderie of old, and doubt that kind of bond will ever surface again.

Cheers to you all, here's to the old times, the old timers, and all the friendships along the way. The cars bring you here, it's up to you to make the friendships.

JR

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Looks like she gave up to educate a bunch of uncivil, foul-mouthed guys ;)

No, she just finished her decorate thesis on us all.

We were just "subjects" of her thesis on forums, male bonding and internet leg humping when a woman starts posting.

or she just stopped taking her medication and jumped off a bridge

Paul in NZ
04-24-2009, 04:56 AM
where did this come from....that thread is nearly three years old!!!

632 Regal
04-24-2009, 08:59 AM
I was looking back to some members that havent posted in a while and saw Brians post... then the whole thread, the memories that came back. Man this place used to be fun, every part of it would make me laugh even when the meltdown of an off topic post was nuked from the new laws... I just wish I could have foreseen what would become of this place because I could have made enough noise for Ed to notice. The law of the land should have stayed the same as it was, no laws of the land.

where did this come from....that thread is nearly three years old!!!

tim eh?
04-24-2009, 01:35 PM
I was looking back to some members that havent posted in a while and saw Brians post... then the whole thread, the memories that came back. Man this place used to be fun, every part of it would make me laugh even when the meltdown of an off topic post was nuked from the new laws... I just wish I could have foreseen what would become of this place because I could have made enough noise for Ed to notice. The law of the land should have stayed the same as it was, no laws of the land.

jeez that's depressing.

still a pretty good forum imho.

uh... what laws? can i smoke?

632 Regal
04-24-2009, 03:17 PM
4:20 good buddy

uh... what laws? can i smoke?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-24-2009, 03:44 PM
4:20 good buddy

Gonna go see Cheech & Chong next month when they do a reunion show here

BMWDriver
04-24-2009, 05:06 PM
I think it has also a lot to do with how old our cars are getting, and how many have sold them and gone to newer ones. Just this week again, I wondered if I should sell or not, if I did all I could with it with the means that I have. Every once in a while that idea pops to mind. Often I wish I could do many more things to restore it to near new. Alas that I have limited monies. Nevertheless, it's still mine for now and it drives strong yet.

Things do change indeed, and the wind has diminished in the sails of this forum.

But I still pop in every day because there are still priceless things to see, and invaluable information to gather.

Incantation
04-24-2009, 06:41 PM
she is doing what every woman does. talking too much and not showing her **** enough (at all?)

ryan roopnarine
04-24-2009, 07:08 PM
i'm really appreciative of the service ed has provided for the past 7 years or so. really, truly am.

however, this was not something that i really wanted to mention, since i pay nothing to use this board.

i think that getting rid of the bimmer.info name killed some of the traffic. i know that it took me about 1.5 months or so to find the site again, and i was making a decent effort. i assumed that ed had shut it down. whether or not others want to admit to the same happening to them....i can't speak for others.

perhaps after some of the "former" traffic suffers some kind of mechanical malady, maybe then they will be back, but i really think that the name change had something to do with the reduced numbers.

BennyM
04-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Yeah, that confused me as well. Lately, the older bimmer.info address was working again, and for a short time the bimmernut.com address wasn't. I don't know what the deal is, why Ed keeps switching between the two.

i'm really appreciative of the service ed has provided for the past 7 years or so. really, truly am.

however, this was not something that i really wanted to mention, since i pay nothing to use this board.

i think that getting rid of the bimmer.info name killed some of the traffic. i know that it took me about 1.5 months or so to find the site again, and i was making a decent effort. i assumed that ed had shut it down. whether or not others want to admit to the same happening to them....i can't speak for others.

perhaps after some of the "former" traffic suffers some kind of mechanical malady, maybe then they will be back, but i really think that the name change had something to do with the reduced numbers.

RockJock
04-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Gonna go see Cheech & Chong next month when they do a reunion show here

///Mmmmm, Maui Waui.....?! :)

http://www.semini.it/images/jockhorror.jpg

632 Regal
04-25-2009, 01:24 AM
Incan I think you were one that voted this forum strictly on topic cause you were so organized.. sweet but i think we need to get back to work here and bring the old board back.

she is doing what every woman does. talking too much and not showing her **** enough (at all?)

632 Regal
04-25-2009, 01:25 AM
I dont know how to put a vote at this time but is it even relevant???

632 Regal
04-25-2009, 01:28 AM
cant poll this now, needed to be done when I realized it was here so i'll sticky it. if you dont like it talk to ED. i just ban people.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-25-2009, 01:51 AM

From her pictures they weren't much too crow about....raisins

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-25-2009, 01:54 AM
cant poll this now, needed to be done when I realized it was here so i'll sticky it. if you dont like it talk to ED. i just ban people.

What are we voting on?

whiskychaser
04-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Nostalgia isnt what it used to be.

632 Regal
04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
im not sure, maybe you can make a pole?
What are we voting on?

632 Regal
04-26-2009, 12:49 AM
a gold dancing pole centered on our E34 universe... maybe lap dancers that service the need of the E34 driver and weekend mechanic. Are there any female members at this time? We always did cool down when we found out females were around (self policing) so I never did understand why Ed allowed the brain doctor to brainwash Ed. She was good at it but I never bit any of it. At the Chi Town meet she was quiet didnt talk to anyone that I saw besides a little to Ed. what a depressing move happened after that. I would rather ban myself than to allow that crap to happen again... besides id re-apply and transfer all my credit points to a new name with a bigger gun. :D

im not sure, maybe you can make a pole?

tim eh?
05-01-2009, 08:17 AM
This thread is extremely negative - why sticky it? just mho I don't really care.

632 Regal
05-01-2009, 10:16 PM
it will be stickied til the numbers stabilize, Most likely after this weekend. It's more nostalgia than negative IMO.

This thread is extremely negative - why sticky it? just mho I don't really care.

repenttokyo
05-02-2009, 11:24 AM

agreed tim. let's just talk about cars.

Jon K
05-04-2009, 12:21 AM
i liked .info, but with the domain name going away a lot was lost - like a lot of the members that made it worth posting. Now we have only a few who post very frequently and you can't follow their train of thought from one post to the next.

paul p (chi-town)
05-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh, good grief .... pansies.

It’s been winter for most of us, eh?

Loosing a connection due to the .info switch had me in the wilderness for a few months as well. The economy is tough and most are centered often around car improvement and less keep it running fixes.
Not to mention, a forum is what you make it.

As for some hubbub over some male juvenile behavior, have these people never seen ‘sex in the city’?

*shakes head*

Hang up & Drive!
94 BMW 530iT&A 145K, ‘Helga’ ( Shleppen Schnell mit “Musique ... nonstop” *dances* )
92 BMW 325i 165K, ‘Rolf’ ( Euro vision equipped, ghetto Naka install *woot* )
93 Datsun NX2000 190K ‘Carla’ ( Uber heated seat & rust holes *shakes head* )
85 Toyo MR2 140K ‘Jerry’ ( Showcar/track toy, killer mpg, way more fun than a prius *grin* )

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
- Hunter S. Thompson

paul p (chi-town)
05-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Oh and happy birthday to my local fellow Fishes (belated).
Ed(?), Scott H, Brandon J

Hang up & Drive!

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty,
than to those attending too small a degree of it."
– Thomas Jefferson

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-13-2009, 08:46 PM
Oh I fixed the domain name. .info now points to the nut. I apologize for that.

And yes, the site has slowed, we've gotten busy, but it'll still be here for anyone that wants to participate. It's not going anywhere, and I'm still gonna maintain it. And when fellow bimmer nuts want a fuel pump, I'll put it next the the garage for them to pick up when I'm away......Josh... doh

Anyway, Paul is right, it's what we make of it. And I know I will still be here. So lets go, Chicago meet!

632 Regal
05-13-2009, 10:24 PM
I have noticed no outages since the switch...coincidence or what? The .info does redirect too... coolies!

Oh I fixed the domain name. .info now points to the nut. I apologize for that.

And yes, the site has slowed, we've gotten busy, but it'll still be here for anyone that wants to participate. It's not going anywhere, and I'm still gonna maintain it. And when fellow bimmer nuts want a fuel pump, I'll put it next the the garage for them to pick up when I'm away......Josh... doh

Anyway, Paul is right, it's what we make of it. And I know I will still be here. So lets go, Chicago meet!

Bimmer Nut Ed
05-14-2009, 12:09 AM
Yes, the new setup should be a lot faster, and much more stable.

Yeah, the .info domain was still pointing to my house here, and I turned the server off, and forgot to move .info. doh, but it's all good now.

Mordan
05-14-2009, 04:48 PM
Yes, the new setup should be a lot faster, and much more stable.

Yeah, the .info domain was still pointing to my house here, and I turned the server off, and forgot to move .info. doh, but it's all good now.

man I hope you will keep your E34 535 forever...

so you keep running this very good forum

Bo525i
05-15-2009, 03:02 AM
man I hope you will keep your E34 535 forever...

so you keep running this very good forum

I´ll second that! :)

califblue
03-14-2017, 02:22 PM
From her pictures they weren't much too crow about....raisins

Wow 34 Double (0) (0) D's are Raisins in your Book rotfl

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c21/e34Gayle/zz.jpg

her new look angel

https://media.licdn.com/mpr/mpr/shrinknp_200_200/p/6/000/1ae/150/1e94333.jpg

632 Regal
03-17-2017, 06:09 PM
Wow 34 Double (0) (0) D's are Raisins in your Book rotfl