PDA

View Full Version : 92 BMW 525I overheating

bad2buck
04-22-2009, 10:17 PM
Hey I am here again after replacing alot of parts and once again another problem (but at least I am getting good at it) hahaha ok here it is after starting up the car and letting it Idle for about 10 min it starts to overheat (YES I HAVE COOLANT) But when I squeeze the hoses nothing is there, so I decided to let cool and check the coolant and it rised to the top, kinda caught me of guard. Any Ideas??? I just replaced the thermsta this morning. Help Me please.. 92 Bmw 525I

BMW4LIFE
04-22-2009, 11:30 PM
i want to say that you either didn't bleed the system...your thermostat is bad and not opening...or maybe something is wrong with the thermostats housing....

have you checked the water pump? your year should have plastic propellers....they are cheap and tend to break!

BMWDriver
04-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Mine broke after over 400,000 kms. I don't think it qualifies as cheap. And yes, I saw it, plastic impellers. The mechanic was so impressed he showed it to me, what was left of it anyhow.

It's a misconception that plastic is a cheap material. The right kind used for the right application is stupendous.

BMW4LIFE
04-23-2009, 02:29 AM
Mine broke after over 400,000 kms. I don't think it qualifies as cheap. And yes, I saw it, plastic impellers. The mechanic was so impressed he showed it to me, what was left of it anyhow.

It's a misconception that plastic is a cheap material. The right kind used for the right application is stupendous.

well maybe cheap wasnt the right word....more like a lower quality compared to the aluminum ones!

but thats not the matter at hand...lets help him out

Dave M
04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Hey I am here again after replacing alot of parts and once again another problem (but at least I am getting good at it) hahaha ok here it is after starting up the car and letting it Idle for about 10 min it starts to overheat (YES I HAVE COOLANT) But when I squeeze the hoses nothing is there, so I decided to let cool and check the coolant and it rised to the top, kinda caught me of guard. Any Ideas??? I just replaced the thermsta this morning. Help Me please.. 92 Bmw 525I

If you're not feeling anything in the upper rad hose, it has nothing to do with your thermostat. If it isn't leaking out, you haven't adequately bled the system. The M50 cannot be properly bled by simply filling the expansion tank and driving away (not to assume thats how you did it). If you need some help, there are a few threads regarding M50 bleeding on this site. If you can't find anything, let us know.

Dave

JD525IA
04-23-2009, 09:46 AM
i want to say that you either didn't bleed the system...your thermostat is bad and not opening...or maybe something is wrong with the thermostats housing....

have you checked the water pump? your year should have plastic propellers....they are cheap and tend to break!

The sympoms I had when mine went bad was that I would pull up to a light and the temp gauge would go from the middle to near the red. Then when I would drive at speed the engine temp would go back to normal. My mechanic instantly knew it was bad when he ran the engine while watching the fan, turned off the engine, and the fan kept spinning a bit when the engine was warm. What is supposed to happen is that when the engine gets hot, the clutch locks up and make the fan move more air past the radiator.

Sometimes they go out and don't engage. Sometimes the lockup constantly and put a load on the engine. This is bad too.

Good luck.

JD

632 Regal
04-23-2009, 10:49 AM
Exactly, some people drill a small hole in the thermostat if you got one without the check ball, others put the front end on ramps to help bleed the air out of the system.
If you're not feeling anything in the upper rad hose, it has nothing to do with your thermostat. If it isn't leaking out, you haven't adequately bled the system. The M50 cannot be properly bled by simply filling the expansion tank and driving away (not to assume thats how you did it). If you need some help, there are a few threads regarding M50 bleeding on this site. If you can't find anything, let us know.

Dave

fclake
04-23-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm with the bleed the hell out of it crowd. Front end elevated, heat on high. Bleed, Bleed and then bleed again.