PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge acting weird.

NielsGalan
04-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I've noticed the temp gauge to be over center once. Looked again a few seconds later and it was back to normal, just below center. Stayed that way for a week.

Today it was at it again. For a few seconds it would literally jump up a notch, wobble there for a while and then go back to normal. Looked just as if someone was playing with it with a magnet (that kind of movement).

Any ideas as to what I'm looking at here?? UFO's in the area?

Arny535
04-16-2009, 05:02 PM
It can happen if there's air in the coolant. Perhaps your coolant level got low? You could try adding some coolant and releasing air bubbles out of the system, if any (at the coolant bleed valve).

NielsGalan
04-16-2009, 05:51 PM
It can happen if there's air in the coolant. Perhaps your coolant level got low? You could try adding some coolant and releasing air bubbles out of the system, if any (at the coolant bleed valve).

Well that's a simple explanation at least, although I can't see why there should be air in the system. I'll bleed it and see if it occurs again.

Thanks.

Mordan
04-17-2009, 04:27 AM
`well I have another explanation

I have the same issue on my E30. I changed 3 times and everytime after a few weeks the needle would go crazy like you. now if I push hard on the instrument panel the needle goes right back to the middle. it is actually the electrical connector in the back going wrong. it does that when the heater is on. without heater, the needle is ok.