PDA

View Full Version : muffler source?

ScottyWM
04-16-2009, 02:55 PM
Well it's that time again... muffler has rusted right off of the pipes at the front of the muffler on my touring. It lasted about about 90k miles, so can't complain too much. Funny, it passed inspection in February.

So what are we putting on these now, the Eberspaecher, Ansa, or what? BMA wants $360 for Eberspaecher!! I need to get this pretty cheap as I'm now one of the newly unemployed. Any good sources you'd recommend?

I've been thinking of just taking it to Midas or Monro Muffler. At this point in it's life (and with low $$) I'm not really concerned with originality and performance, only functionality.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-16-2009, 04:39 PM
Well, if you're on a budget try looking for a used one off any ol' 91 on up 525.

ScottyWM
04-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Hahaha.... I just got back from Midas! They quoted me over $1000 to replace the rear muffler! Even had the stones to show me on the computer "his price". Guess I've got another do-it-myself job. Don't really want to put on a used one, and have to replace it again in a short while.

Mr._Graybeard
04-16-2009, 10:32 PM
I had an Ansa system once on an Audi 4000q -- it failed in less than 2 years. If I remember correctly, the tailpipe broke off the muffler and took a piece of one of the muffler's internal baffles with it. I'd never seen a muffler break that way before -- there was no external sign of rust.

Looks like the Ansa isn't that much less than the Eberspaecher at autohaus. I'd spend the extra $60.

Bosal makes a decent product if you can find one that fits.

Dave M
04-17-2009, 06:41 AM
I've had Eberspaecher front and rear replacements on my M50 525 since ~2003 with no issues. Big, heavy units, just like the originals. Bought them from BMA.

Dave

genphreak
04-17-2009, 06:58 AM
In the US last time I looked an Ansa is around $275 for the rear. Key with e34 exhausts is if one part is gone, do them both. A clean joint is important as corroded ones don't just corrode to failure faster, the systems are simply so long and heavy that weak welds simply break/leak within months and it all then goes to **** and costs you in petrol money let alone hassle. If you have to save $$ buy an Ansa or one of the other euro cheapies.