PDA

View Full Version : I have a question regarding the car phone.....

BMW4LIFE
04-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi guys!

I have a question regarding the car phone that came with my 93 e34 525i...I was wondering if i would be able to wire a hands free blue tooth system to that so i can use the mic and car speakers in my car?

if so where do i get one and about how much?

thanks!

pgrindstaff
04-13-2009, 05:58 PM
I'd say it would take a bit of hacking to do but would be very cool. I had thought about trying to figure it out but I have no phone to mess with. Maintaining the ability to use the display in the cluster would be cool too.

BMW4LIFE
04-13-2009, 11:16 PM
my uncle was saying that he went to the dealership and got it for his benz granted his is a 2004 but he said you might be able to get a newer one that has bluetooth from the dealership...

on the other hand i can get this for under 100 bucks installed...

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/bluetooth-hands-free-car-kits

what do you guys think?

i wanna stay away from the hands free head set.... as top gear would put it..... "i would look like a cock"

haha

shadowpuck
04-13-2009, 11:26 PM
also, if you wanted, you could install a stereo that also has bluetooth support......

you could then (with some hacking/rewiring) also use the existing phone wiring to supply power for charging your cell phone.....

i have heard good things about the parrot kits, but i've not used one myself....

BMW4LIFE
04-14-2009, 12:25 AM
also, if you wanted, you could install a stereo that also has bluetooth support......

you could then (with some hacking/rewiring) also use the existing phone wiring to supply power for charging your cell phone.....

i have heard good things about the parrot kits, but i've not used one myself....

i was thinking of that too...my buddy gets a discount at best buy so if you guys know of anything on the website that you have either experianced or heard good things about please let me know

thanks

shadowpuck
04-14-2009, 12:33 AM
i recently had a Clarion DXZ785USB installed in our e34 and really like it. It does USB, Aux input, all that good stuff and includes bluetooth.

It can be programmed to come pretty darn close to matching the BMW lighting too.

Ross
04-14-2009, 07:46 AM
Is your phone operating now?
In my area the providers are no longer providing service to analog phones. The factory phone in '93 would almost certainly be an analog unit.
If this modification is possible I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to utilize it for long or at all.

BMW4LIFE
04-15-2009, 03:10 AM
Is your phone operating now?
In my area the providers are no longer providing service to analog phones. The factory phone in '93 would almost certainly be an analog unit.
If this modification is possible I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to utilize it for long or at all.

Hey Ross!

i might have been mis leading in my first posting...i want to add some sort of blue tooth unit that will work with the mic and car speakers rather than buy a whole parrot system...

i noticed that the car was prewired so i was wondering if there is a way to utilize that connection by just buying a simple bluetooth unit...

did that make sense? lol

sorry if i am confusing!

=)

Ross
04-15-2009, 07:32 AM
The left front speaker in the kick panel has two voice coils, one intended for the phone, so that could be used for whatever hands free type of phone you use. Perhaps the factory data cable could be used also. Beyond that I'm clueless.

tim eh?
04-15-2009, 03:15 PM
The left front speaker in the kick panel has two voice coils, one intended for the phone, so that could be used for whatever hands free type of phone you use. Perhaps the factory data cable could be used also. Beyond that I'm clueless.

Really? so the factory phone just works on one speaker... cool.

The speakers won't care if you splice the signal in from an additional source but it would have to be amplified. (ie via a bluetooth compatible stereo)
The microphone in the factory phone won't care either and should work fine too, but I doubt there is a specific doodad that will plug 'n play into the system, it's going to be a custom job if you do it.

BMW4LIFE
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Really? so the factory phone just works on one speaker... cool.

The speakers won't care if you splice the signal in from an additional source but it would have to be amplified. (ie via a bluetooth compatible stereo)
The microphone in the factory phone won't care either and should work fine too, but I doubt there is a specific doodad that will plug 'n play into the system, it's going to be a custom job if you do it.

AARRRGGGGGG...... I'm totally over it!

i'm just gonna go buy one of these then...

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/AllBMWs/ConceptVehicles/M1/Default.aspx

hahaha

okay maybe not but I think I'm going to get the parrot!

thanks for all your help guys!