PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know how to take door molding off?

Rick L
04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Hey guys!

Been awhile since last visit. Hope everyone is doing well. :)

I was just washing my car and noticed slight surface rust under the driver’s door. :( Actually, it’s between the bottom door panel and that molding that attaches to the bottom of the door. Does anyone know how to take this molding off? I like to take care of this surface rust before it gets worse.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dave M
04-12-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm assuming you're refering to the bottom door trim??

If so, like most trim, its a 'gentle' pull. The trim is simply pressure fit over the door bottom, BUT, may be difficult to remove cleanly if rust has deteriorated the bottom of the door. Unless in pristine condition, these trim pieces will be garbage once removed. Hopefully the rust is managable and you can do some spring cleaning, take care of the rust and just replace the trim. There are many write ups here about the process.

Good luck with it,

Dave

Rick L
04-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Yes, the bottom door trim. Since my car is 1995, it has the plastic side skirts. Thanks for the info. I guess all I needed was to put some muscle into it. :)

I'm assuming you're refering to the bottom door trim??

If so, like most trim, its a 'gentle' pull. The trim is simply pressure fit over the door bottom, BUT, may be difficult to remove cleanly if rust has deteriorated the bottom of the door. Unless in pristine condition, these trim pieces will be garbage once removed. Hopefully the rust is managable and you can do some spring cleaning, take care of the rust and just replace the trim. There are many write ups here about the process.

Good luck with it,

Dave

tim eh?
04-12-2009, 06:14 PM
pull it off at one end first then the rest comes off easy... see?

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6685&stc=1&d=1239577952

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6686&stc=1&d=1239577951

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6687&stc=1&d=1239577951

russiankid
04-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Tim, the last picture scares me. I have rust on my drivers side doors and I am scared to take the trim off to see that.

tim eh?
04-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Tim, the last picture scares me. I have rust on my drivers side doors and I am scared to take the trim off to see that.

be afraid, be very afraid.

RockJock
04-12-2009, 08:09 PM
be afraid, be very afraid.

Holy $hit Tim! Time to move back to Alberta where it's nice and dry ;)......

tim eh?
04-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Holy $hit Tim! Time to move back to Alberta where it's nice and dry ;)......

:D that's the only one like that. maybe i'll soak it in vinegar. A1 for shock value that door trim... I knew there would be rust but... actually I was laughing when I took those photos.

I can't move back to Alberta until I finish skool (boy am I ever a mature student... kinda ripe actewally) but it would be nice, I sure miss the Rockies, and the dry weather. And my mommy.

shadowpuck
04-12-2009, 11:18 PM
rick - keep us updated. did you get the trim off?

we've got some rust on our driver's door too and i'm afraid of what i might find!!

shogun
04-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, your chances are higher than 50% to find rust, depending on the area you live more or less.
I did that abt. 4 years ago, removed the old trim, removed all rust (lose one) with a steel brush, used rust converter, primed it, final paint and clear paint.
Just checked it yesterday, no rust again so far.