PDA

View Full Version : OT: Get rid of rust with vinegar?

whiskychaser
04-11-2009, 04:05 AM
Stumbled across this:
http://www.cookhaus.co.uk/vinegar/index.htm
I understand the chemistry but I'm still sceptical. Results look great though. Anyone tried it?

tim eh?
04-11-2009, 06:41 AM
Stumbled across this:
I understand the chemistry but I'm still sceptical. Results look great though. Anyone tried it?

Never tried it but I would think any acid of similar strength would do the same job. White vinegar's great on windows.

632 Regal
04-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Looks impressive, I'll give this a try.
Stumbled across this:

pingu
04-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Commercial rust killers tend to use phosphoric acid. But that vinegar seems to have done a great job and is as cheap as chips! ;-)

uscharalph
04-12-2009, 01:09 PM
That pretty amazing!

Sam-Son
04-12-2009, 01:32 PM
yup it works....Im refinishing my style 5's at the moment and I had all the nuts and bolts bathing in a bowl of vinegar for a few hours and when i came back all the rust and peeling paint was floating on the surface...I still plan on taking a wire wheel to get any remaining junk off the bolts but the vinegar worked surprisingly well. I didnt believe it.

on the other hand if you mix vinegar and sodium peroxide I believe you GET rust....iirc

Mordan
04-12-2009, 03:31 PM
WoW!

really impressed. I feel dumb buying expensive anti rust commercial products. but then you can't soak the chassis in a pool of vinegar.

shogun
04-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Get rid of rust with electricity !!
Author: rv8flyboy

for years now I have removed rust electrolytically especially on delicate parts with my battery charger.

the nice parts is that absolutely nothing of the object disappears, one merely converts the rust back to iron and oxygen.

one takes a plastic tub, some stainless steel plate, a spoon of leye like Red Devil. The Leye makes the water conductive. so u ONLY NEED A LIITLE.

fill the tub or bucket with water, add some leye, put the positive clamp on the stainless steel plate, put the negative clamp on the object to be de-rusted, switch on the battery charger. Go away and have drink ;-)

i generally don't add leye till the charger is on, then add enough leye to get a few amps flowing.

when done cleaning you may find some black specs, this is carbon, the carbon originally in the steel or iron but came out when the rust was converted to iron.

clean thoroughly and dry, prime or coat asap as u will have bare metal in the truest sense they will rudt back soon.

BennyM
04-12-2009, 11:50 PM
So, can I just soak the bottoms of my doors in a really long tub of vinegar?

Arny535
04-13-2009, 06:05 AM
Commercial rust killers tend to use phosphoric acid. But that vinegar seems to have done a great job and is as cheap as chips! ;-)

Phosphoric acid also has an interesting property to convert rust back to iron in addition to cleaning it! There are some anti-limescale bathroom cleaners which contain phosphoric acid and can be used for rust cleaning. Heh, people have even used (i think succesfully) Coke for rust cleaning since it contains phosphoric acid... :p

shogun
04-13-2009, 06:14 AM
Coke is not bad for rust cleaning or for rusted bolts.

Back to vinegar, the Japanese MIZCAN vinegar site says:

Because white distilled vinegar has so many wonderful uses as a cleaning agent, it’s no surprise that it is also perfect to use on some of your bigger cleaning projects—namely automobiles. The next time you’re washing your car, shift into high gear and really make it shine with a little vinegar.

Keep car windows frost-free overnight in winter by coating them with a solution of 3 parts white distilled vinegar to 1 part water.

Polish car chrome with full-strength white distilled vinegar on a soft cloth.

Remove unwanted decals and bumper stickers by covering them with a cloth soaked in white distilled vinegar, or by repeatedly spraying them with full-strength white distilled vinegar. They should peel off in a couple of hours.

Rid the windshield wipers of road grime by wiping them with a white distilled vinegar-soaked cloth.

Remove the leftover odor after a rider has been carsick by leaving a bowl of white distilled vinegar overnight on the floor.

Get rid of hard water stains on your car with a rinse made from 3 parts soft water to one part white distilled vinegar.

Wipe vinyl upholstery with a mixture of equal parts white distilled vinegar and water.

Remove winter road salt residue on car carpeting by spraying with a mixture of equal parts white distilled vinegar and water, then blot with a soft towel.

Remove the hazy film that builds up on inside windows by spraying with white distilled vinegar.

Remove dirt and stains from car carpeting with a mixture of half white distilled vinegar and half water.

When doing car maintenance, soak rusty bolts and screws with white distilled vinegar to make them easier to remove.

Loosen chewing gum stuck to carpeting or upholstery by soaking it in white distilled vinegar.

Create an all-purpose window cleaner with a few ounces of white distilled vinegar in a quart of water.

Give leather upholstery an extra shine by cleaning it with hot white distilled vinegar and rinsing with soapy water.

Make your car extra shiny by adding a few drops of white distilled vinegar to your bucket of water.

http://www.vinegartips.com/auto/

Old Man Pete
04-14-2009, 04:42 AM
And I thought it was just for putting on my chips to make them taste nicer! :-D