PDA

View Full Version : Inspection light on with all green LEDs

LunatiC
04-11-2009, 03:00 AM
I had an oil service done by my indy not too long ago. The lights were reset so that all green LEDs are lit up.

I've just realised now though that the Inspection light also lights up when I start the car. The 5 green LEDs still light up like everything's normal though.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of checking the stomp test (I'm in Australia with an Australian E34 model), would anyone have ideas as to why the Inspection light is on? Is it the same as the "Check Engine" light (without obviously the stomp test / blink test capabilities)?

whiskychaser
04-11-2009, 03:26 AM
I had an oil service done by my indy not too long ago. The lights were reset so that all green LEDs are lit up.

I've just realised now though that the Inspection light also lights up when I start the car. The 5 green LEDs still light up like everything's normal though.

Unfortunately I don't have the option of checking the stomp test (I'm in Australia with an Australian E34 model), would anyone have ideas as to why the Inspection light is on? Is it the same as the "Check Engine" light (without obviously the stomp test / blink test capabilities)?

Mechanic probably just reset the oil service light but I understand there is also a service light. My guess is the latter comes on after you have run a certain distance. This tells you how to reset them both:
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/electrical/e36_reset_service_lights.html
Its not the same as CEL. Its just a posh calendar:D

pingu
04-11-2009, 04:31 PM
As well as the service light, the cars also signal (every two years I think) that they are due for new brake fluid and new coolant. Maybe that's the light you've now got coming on. If so then it's probably accompanied by a clock symbol (at least it is on my car).

Paul in NZ
04-13-2009, 09:45 PM
As well as the service light, the cars also signal (every two years I think) that they are due for new brake fluid and new coolant. Maybe that's the light you've now got coming on. If so then it's probably accompanied by a clock symbol (at least it is on my car).
called the Annual service i think

shogun
04-13-2009, 10:14 PM
yes, in most countries there is this light too, that is why on the reset tool I am selling there is this reset with the clock symbol, see the pic here
http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/shogun/Sir3.jpg

http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39204

pingu
04-14-2009, 10:31 AM
But not necessarily annual. It's definitely every two years on my former 525 and on my current 540 for fresh brake fluid and coolant.

Paul in NZ
04-14-2009, 10:39 PM
But not necessarily annual. It's definitely every two years on my former 525 and on my current 540 for fresh brake fluid and coolant.

I am 99.9 percent sure mine comes on every year at the same month

shogun
04-15-2009, 01:51 AM
I found the answer here:

Das Uhrensymbol leuchtet bis Baujahr 8/90 einmal im Jahr, seit 9/90 alle zwei Jahre in Verbindung mit dem Schriftzug "INSPECTION". Dann ist die Jahreskontrolle unabhängig von der Kilometerleistung fällig.

the clock symbol lights up once a year on all BMW till built year 08/1990, but from built date 09/1990 every 2 years in connection (together) with the annual inspection. That means the annual inspection is due, no matter how many km the car was driven

Die Anzeige "Jahreskontrolle" durch das Uhrensymbol wird in derselben Weise gelöscht wie die Anzeige "INSPECTION" der Verschleisswartung.

Nach Rückstellen der Jahreskontrolle (Uhr) bleibt die Leuchtfeldanzeige unverändert. Sollte der Sonderfall eintreten, dass die Jahreskontrolle und Verschleiss-Inspektion zusammenfallen und somit auch zusammen zurückgestellt werden müssen, können die beiden Rückstellvorgänge nacheinander mit einer Pause von mindestens 10 Sekunden erfolgen.

after resetting of the annual (clock) inspection the check control lights remain the same. Should there be the exceptional case that the annual service as well as the regular service/inspection light up at the same time, both can be reset one after the other, but there must be a 10 seconds interuption in between both resets.

German E36 archive
http://www.bmw-e36-archiv.de/intervall.html

Paul in NZ
04-15-2009, 04:12 AM
I found the answer here:

the clock symbol lights up once a year on all BMW till built year 08/1990, but from built date 09/1990 every 2 years in connection (together) with the annual inspection. That means the annual inspection is due, no matter how many km the car was driven

Die Anzeige "Jahreskontrolle" durch das Uhrensymbol wird in derselben Weise gelöscht wie die Anzeige "INSPECTION" der Verschleisswartung.

after resetting of the annual (clock) inspection the check control lights remain the same. Should there be the exceptional case that the annual service as well as the regular service/inspection light up at the same time, both can be reset one after the other, but there must be a 10 seconds interuption in between both resets.

German E36 archive
http://www.bmw-e36-archiv.de/intervall.html
perfect,as a 12/89 car that explains why mine shows the clock every year at the same time!

pingu
04-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I get the impression that BMW are gradually extending the service intervals. I've got a feeling (as I can't remember where I saw this!) that on newer BMWs, the service interval for coolant is 3 years.

LunatiC
04-18-2009, 09:13 PM
I get the impression that BMW are gradually extending the service intervals. I've got a feeling (as I can't remember where I saw this!) that on newer BMWs, the service interval for coolant is 3 years.

That would make sense. Technology advances over time. Fluids etc would have a higher level of chemical engineering technology to last longer.

shogun
11-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Generally that was/is the trend in all mechanical applications, whatever equipment is is. But then the manufacturers found out that they make less money from the after sales regular service, the customer contact is less and in longer intervals. Now they want to have the customers back in their shops, as the equipment for the service becomes more and more complicated and expensive, so it must be utilized. For example where I live they send letters to customers for a free check on this or that, of course the aim is to get the customer back and when the car is in the shop it is easier to sell something additionally.
And with the lifetime transmission fluid they probably selected the wrong word, should have been better called long life transmission fluid. Nice article here:

Case Studies
BMW and Volvo – The Truth About Lifetime Transmission Fluids
BMW and Volvo – The Truth About Lifetime Transmission Fluids « Case Studies | Atlantic Motorcar Center – Wiscasset, Maine (http://www.atlanticmotorcar.com/case-studies/bmw-and-volvo-the-truth-about-lifetime-transmission-fluids/)