PDA

View Full Version : Next step in transmission woes

vping
04-10-2009, 04:50 PM
I've got the pan off. I had to remove it with the dipstick tube as the large compression fitting was too tight and I did not want to bend anything.

Are the two small screws that hold the filter into place, metric Torx? I have a 30 and a 25 and each are too large and small respectively. Metric Allen will not work either.

Things to note - Trans fluid is seemingly decent looking. Sludge in pan is not so I am hoping that it is still just a clogged filter that is causing reverse not to work.

What do I do about this Torx situation?

whiskychaser
04-10-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm got the pan off. I had to remove it with the dipstick tube as the large compression fitting was too tight and I did not want to bend anything.

Are the two small screws that hold the filter into place, metric Torx? I have a 30 and a 25 and each are too large and small respectively. Metric Allen will not work either.

Things to note - Trans fluid is seemingly decent looking. Sludge in pan is not so I am hoping that it is still just a clogged filter that is causing reverse not to work.

What do I do about this Torx situation?

Mine has 3 x T27 screws holding the filter in place. Its an odd-ball size you dont get in the cheap and cheerful kits. The screws are countersunk so you need the correct tool or you cant get at them. Hope replacing the filter and ATF does the trick for you

vping
04-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I did not know there was a T27. That'll probably do it.

ArnZ!
04-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeh you just have to get the right torx bit. The filter comes off really easy.

btw my reverse problem was not really clutch pack related, the seals were rock hard so no hydraulic pressure could be made as it would just leak. This is due to just old age.

vping
04-11-2009, 07:15 AM
This is what I have been trying to find out. If changing the filter does not work, I'll like to give the seals a go. How do I change those and what resource can I use to change them. I've heard people talk about them but I have not been able to find out detailed info.

ArnZ!
04-11-2009, 09:29 AM
If changing the filter doesn't work then changing the seals means you pretty much rebuild your whole transmission. Because to change the seals inside the auto you gotta strip every part/clean and replace seals/gaskets the put it back together. **** you wouldn't go to all the effort and not change the clutch packs and everything right? its like while your there you might as well do it.

vping
04-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Is that a feasible DIY job?

632 Regal
04-11-2009, 11:44 AM
as you disassemble lay it all out in order making sure not to flip anything up side down. It's just a big gray mystery box when it comes down to it. Read up on it before trying so you make sure you have any special tools and tricks before attempting it. Have a service manual and all parts ready to replace. I would try to do it all in one day so you dont forget anything during the process.

whiskychaser
04-11-2009, 12:47 PM
If changing the filter doesn't work then changing the seals means you pretty much rebuild your whole transmission. Because to change the seals inside the auto you gotta strip every part/clean and replace seals/gaskets the put it back together. **** you wouldn't go to all the effort and not change the clutch packs and everything right? its like while your there you might as well do it.
Which seals do you mean? If they are in the valve body you can drop that without dropping the transmission. Not my type of tranny but curious anyway

ArnZ!
04-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Which seals do you mean? If they are in the valve body you can drop that without dropping the transmission. Not my type of tranny but curious anyway

The guy who rebuilt my tranny showed me some big o ring looking seals that must've came from inside the housing or somewhere big cuz no way in the world would it belong in the valve body.

e.g. parts 2 and 3 are the big o rings, they get real hard and dont seal good anymore.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD22&mospid=47382&btnr=24_0557&hg=24&fg=15

Anyways yes i know you can drop the Valve body with the box still in. Sometimes that just needs a rebuild and your set to go.

ArnZ!
04-11-2009, 04:55 PM
the only thing stopping me from DIY is that id strip the thing down and i wouldn't know what was worn and what was not. That sort of stuff you learn from experience.

vping
04-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Ditto. I'm not sure what the worn stuff would look like. Well hopefully I'll find out tonight. I just picked up the T27 so I'll finishin it off after work. My only fear is making sure I can fill it properly. I really hope this works.

whiskychaser
04-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Ditto. I'm not sure what the worn stuff would look like. Well hopefully I'll find out tonight. I just picked up the T27 so I'll finishin it off after work. My only fear is making sure I can fill it properly. I really hope this works.
If yours has a dipstick I dont see how you can get it wrong. If not, its a two man job. Put a/c on for fast idle. Got assistant to press brake pedal firmly, then go through park, R, drive etc every 10 seconds until it stops sucking ATF. Your job is to hold/fill the funnel and pipe supplying the filling hole and get soaked when its had enough:D