PDA

View Full Version : Is it SAFE to use Contact Cleaner in Ignition Coils?

Jehu
04-09-2009, 12:06 PM
I have some Caig DeoxIT and ProGold contact cleaners I was going to go about cleaning some connectors and wondered about using it on the spark plug and ignition coil contact surfaces. Anyone know weather this could backfire on me? I couldn't get Caig Labs to answer they asked me to email them and wait for an answer but I want to do this now.. I don't need speculation. It doesn't explicitly warn about higher voltage use but it does mention it's benefits in "Low Voltage" connections so that just caused me to wonder if it could perhaps be combustible so where even wiping residue could still allow sufficient remnants to ignite with the current in that connection. I'd hate to burn my car up just trying to get it to peak performance.
http://www.adorama.com/images/large/HOD5S6.JPG

paanta
04-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I've done it and had no problems.

Jehu
04-09-2009, 12:41 PM
I've done it and had no problems.

Did you use the Pro Gold too? or just the Deoxit?

ryan roopnarine
04-09-2009, 05:55 PM
crc contact cleaner has been used by me to give the exterior of my coils a bath, as well as oily spark plug boots and the DME interface connections on the coil. spray, let dry for 30 minutes, give it a cursory wipe, and you are good to go.

ps...a good rule of thumb is--if it says that it safe for plastic data tapes somewhere on the back, it's probably pretty damn innocuous while still being effective.