PDA

View Full Version : Trunk lock and gas door lid actuators..kaput

billb
04-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Well, as I begin taking over the day-to-day driving of our 525, I'm finding little things that aren't working. Take, for instance, the trunk, that doesn't lock with central locking. Went through a battery of tests yesterday confirming the locks were sync'd, etc. Then checked that the system was sending the actuator voltage. Yep. Then took the actuator out and sent it 12V from a cordless drill battery. No dice. So, being inquisitive, and with a dead actuator on my hands, I opened it up. It is not intended to be serviced...

I found one of the two brush springs was broken, rendering the tiny Johnson Electric motor inoperable. There is a pressed on, custom brass gear on the shaft, and it is near impossible to remove. I suppose if you could get the gear off, then find the motor from a hobby shop/Radio Shack, you could maybe get it working again (the motor terminals are specially-made to accept the two spade-type connectors).

Long story short, a quick log-in to BMA and I've got a new one on the way. I didn't really want to put a new one in, but I had some logic behind the purchase. We have 2 keys for the 525; the master, and the valet. I use the valet, which does not work in the trunk or glovebox. So, I would be unable to lock or unlock the trunk. If for some reason the trunk were locked and I had a flat tire, I would be unable to access the jack and the spare. I believe the cost of the actuator is less than the cost of a new key. Come to think of it, maybe we do need another key...

Oh, and fyi, the gas door lid actuator does not work in the trunk application, contrary to what a lot of online sources indicate. Trunk actuator has inputs/outputs for key position. Gas door lid actuator only has +/- 12V terminals.

shogun
04-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Valet key does not work on trunk and glove box.

Also check the position of the trunk lock, it might be in the wrong position.
It can be in such a way, that the trunk opens with remote , but also should not open with the remote, - I
http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/small50/pg007.jpg
http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/

billb
04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Valet key does not work on trunk and glove box.

Also check the position of the trunk lock, it might be in the wrong position.
It can be in such a way, that the trunk opens with remote , but also should not open with the remote, - I
http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/small50/pg007.jpg
http://luuk.xs4all.nl/bmwboeken/bmwe34manual/

...and also know about the key position in the trunk pushbutton. But, when a brush isn't connected in a motor, it won't matter which direction you turn the key ;)

Thanks for the follow-up.

ScottyWM
04-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Bill, you have a photo of the Johnson Motor or a JE p/n of the motor itself? I've had millions of them go through my inspection lab. Moot point if you've already bought the actuator, but still interesting.

Scott - former Johnson Electric employee

shogun
04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Scott, sorry to hijack this, but do you see a possibility to get a hand to motors for the e-box cooling and the moto for the small fan behind the IHKA unit.
Since November last year we are trying on the German board to find a replacement, I have even sent as sample my old spare ones to Germany to someone, but he cannot find the right one on the market.

motor for cooling the E-box has this spec:
Buehler, Nuernberg West Germany, Buehler Raleigh, N.C. USA
BMW 1720343.3 (neueste Nummer 12901720343)
1.69.015.015-4
12V, DC, 43 8

In post # 7 someone even tested the original motors and gave all details
starting A, diameter of shaft, and more
If you see a possibility what could be used from motors which are on the market today, that would be fine. We are still struggling to find replacement. BMW charges really heavy for these motors.

Here the link with pics
http://www.7-forum.com/forum/5/ersatz-mikromotoren-gesucht-heizung-kuehlung-103623.html

Sorry, Bill B

ScottyWM
04-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, I worked for Buehler Motor since 1993. Buehler used to use their own motors but then went to the Johnson Electric Motors in their climate control actuators to save money. They were bought out by Saia-Burgess automotive in about 2004, you will see a lot of switches that are made by Saia-burgess (even in my '78 MG). Then we were bought out again by Johnson Electric in about 2006. Then Johnson closed our plant in March 2009!! Now I'm unemployed. But I still keep in touch with the Buehler Motor guys and the Johnson Electric bums.

I'll forward the motor p/n to my friends at Buehler. They still have a small independent presence in this area. They don't do large volume small DC motor production as much as they used to (couldn't compete with the chinese), it's mostly the higher profit custom jobs they do now. But they may still make those somewhere. I'll give it a shot! (May take a few days to get a response from them)

Scott

Scott, sorry to hijack this, but do you see a possibility to get a hand to motors for the e-box cooling and the moto for the small fan behind the IHKA unit.
Since November last year we are trying on the German board to find a replacement, I have even sent as sample my old spare ones to Germany to someone, but he cannot find the right one on the market.

motor for cooling the E-box has this spec:
Buehler, Nuernberg West Germany, Buehler Raleigh, N.C. USA
BMW 1720343.3 (neueste Nummer 12901720343)
1.69.015.015-4
12V, DC, 43 8

In post # 7 someone even tested the original motors and gave all details
starting A, diameter of shaft, and more
If you see a possibility what could be used from motors which are on the market today, that would be fine. We are still struggling to find replacement. BMW charges really heavy for these motors.

Here the link with pics
http://www.7-forum.com/forum/5/ersatz-mikromotoren-gesucht-heizung-kuehlung-103623.html

Sorry, Bill B

shogun
04-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks a lot, Scott.
we are not in a hurry. This is a project to provide part numbers of replacment motors to all, not for me only. I have enough spare motors. But this question often comes up by many people, the motors start to make noise and 'sing like a bird' sometimes. And the OEM part with the short wires and the plug are pretty expensive. So that is why I sent samples to Wolfgang in Germany who has his own website for repairs and knows electrics a lot and has the equipment to test them.
So there is no need to hurry, but we want to come up with info for all for future demand to keep our cars alive and can maintain them.

Thank you very much

Kibokojoe
04-09-2009, 07:40 AM
These little motors are available. I looked into repairing the actuators last year, no problem finding the motors the stumbling block was replacing the seals. Those little replacement bellows were ridiculous in price. I am not at home right now but when I return from vacation I will see what I have on the computer. I am sure I saved the information. Motors ended up costing about $2.00 a piece problem was that you had to order about 50 to place an order.

shogun
05-09-2009, 03:35 AM
Well, I worked for Buehler Motor since 1993. Buehler used to use their own motors but then went to the Johnson Electric Motors in their climate control actuators to save money. They were bought out by Saia-Burgess automotive in about 2004, you will see a lot of switches that are made by Saia-burgess (even in my '78 MG). Then we were bought out again by Johnson Electric in about 2006. Then Johnson closed our plant in March 2009!! Now I'm unemployed. But I still keep in touch with the Buehler Motor guys and the Johnson Electric bums.

I'll forward the motor p/n to my friends at Buehler. They still have a small independent presence in this area. They don't do large volume small DC motor production as much as they used to (couldn't compete with the chinese), it's mostly the higher profit custom jobs they do now. But they may still make those somewhere. I'll give it a shot! (May take a few days to get a response from them)

Scott

any news on this from your friends, Scott?

ScottyWM
05-09-2009, 09:45 AM
any news on this from your friends, Scott?

I asked about it back in April, then promptly forgot to follow up. I just sent them another message asking about it.

Scott