PDA

View Full Version : testing the TPS

shogun
04-05-2009, 10:03 PM
a coolection of posts I found from 2003- ...

easy test for throttle:

Often TPS failure will result in a car not going to 'zero' fuel consumption when you completely let go of accelerator during highway speeds.

adjust TPS

to adjust it (standing on the driver side) loosen the 2 screws that's holding the TPS in place. Turn the TPS towards you until you hear a click, hold it in place and tighten the screws.

Idle Fixed!!! George you were right on!! TPS was the culprit!! As I was poking around the TPS (2 screws were loose, but stil mounted) I noticed that it would click if I turn it clockwise(standing on the driver-side). Tightened the screws...cranked that bad boy up... and walla!!! RPM is right where want it! George you rock!! Thanks again... '91 735il 140K
-----------------
Author: Kirt Koeller on 2003-09-24
Subject: Re: Kirk- Tranny erratic @ 2K RPM-ED mode

Message: Have you looked at the TPS signal to see if there is a spike or drop of voltage? (TPS= throttle position switch) I would check this first as it could affect both the engine and trans. My guess is that you will not be at the same throttle position in E vs manual or sport. Also check ALL trans connections along with computer connections.
--------------------------------
Function of TPS on Automatic 735 Function of TPS on Automatic 735
1. Switch contact is closed when Throttle is closed signals DME to Control Idle.

2. Potentiometer is connected to Transmission Controller to indicate position of throttle. Older cars had a Cable perform this function.

3. Switch contact is closed when Wide Open Throttle to tell DME to use Fuel map - RPM - Temp inputs for settings therefore Max Performance.
---------------
When the engine is at idle, activate the switch. Your engine should run differently (i.e rougher or faster or slower). If nothing happens, then the switch may be bad.

Basically, the switch changes the fuel mixture at idle for better idle quality and at full throttle for more power.

At least all this is true for the injection type of my BMW's that have a TPS
--------------------------------
Please add more info if available.