PDA

View Full Version : Hissing from exhaust

rickm
04-04-2009, 07:40 AM
I was standing next to my car yesterday when I noticed that when it's idling I can hear a hissing sound. Very high pitched.

94 525i, 188k with no other issues. I swear, this car has been indestructible. Oil every 4k, tires when needed (got 50k out of my last set of Proxes). A few squeaks, one rattle, that's it.

Oh, and the stuck driver's side rear window. Kid's friend came over, I was taking them to the pool. the rear window was 50% down, sunroof open, front windows down. kid's friend went nuts and started to freak out and pulled the window down, now it won't go up and down. once it warms up i'll open the panel to see what she broke.

dennyg
04-04-2009, 09:00 AM
could be the aux fan but that would turn on and off with engine temp.

Ross
04-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Fuel pump is my guess. Perhaps an exhaust leak? Get it up in the air and check around for the source.

632 Regal
04-04-2009, 03:37 PM
high pitched could be a vacuum leak

BMW4LIFE
04-04-2009, 05:50 PM
Fuel pump is my guess. Perhaps an exhaust leak? Get it up in the air and check around for the source.

+1 on the fuel pump!!!

when was the last time you changed it out? I changed mine at 110K...I hear they get about 100K if you are good to them...they get less if you tend to run your car with less than a quarter tank of gas as the pump has to work harder...

I am not a mechanic but I would start there...

hope that help!

Claude
04-04-2009, 10:02 PM
+1 on the fuel pump!!!

when was the last time you changed it out? I changed mine at 110K...I hear they get about 100K if you are good to them...they get less if you tend to run your car with less than a quarter tank of gas as the pump has to work harder...

I am not a mechanic but I would start there...

hope that help!

I would also say "the Fuel Pump", mine is the original one it start doing a hissing noise last year but still work fine.

BennyM
04-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Fuel pump. I drove mine for a couple years with that hissing noise.