PDA

View Full Version : Balo And Pbr Can Suck My Big Bmw Muffler!!!

BMW4LIFE
03-30-2009, 05:25 PM
So I finally got around to changing my brake rotors and pads last night to find a very nice surprise!

After I took the pads off I noticed that all 4 pads were cracked and the rotor was all messed up....

I touched the rotor to see that it was covered in metal shavings...I was surprised to see the pads being cracked as I have heard pretty good reviews on the PBRs...It was sad as they still had 1/2 of their life on the pads still!

But now its time to try out the ATE Premiums and the Akebonos...

I'm excited! =)

p.s. moral of the story...dont buy PBR and Bolos as a combo!!!

Tiger
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
You installed them at the same time? Which PBR?

BMW4LIFE
03-30-2009, 05:39 PM
You installed them at the same time? Which PBR?

yea i always change rotors and pads together...

N1010-10346

[Brake Pad Set Deluxe] PBR Brake Pad Set Deluxe $44.38

They are garbage!!! everyone should stay away!!!

haha

well lets hope that the akebonos turn out a little better! ;)

I broke them in last night so today will be my first drive out on them...i'm excited and nervous at the same time! =)

632 Regal
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Now check for heat cracks...
I broke them in last night so today will be my first drive out on them...

BMW4LIFE
03-31-2009, 12:31 AM
Now check for heat cracks...

both my pads and i are crack free! ;)

but i do have to say that the rotors and pads proved themselves to me today on the 101...

Yay for Ate and Akebonos!

i'll keep everyone updated on their performance!

thanks to everyone who helped me out in picking these rotors and pads! =)

Tiger
03-31-2009, 10:44 AM
Yep, those slotted rotor will never fail you.

As a maintenance routine, you should flush your brake fluid every 2 or 3 years if you can. If you don't know when you last did it, it is time to do so.

Bill R.
03-31-2009, 10:55 AM
Keep in mind that Akebono makes no claims as a performance or track pad, its strictly a very good replacement for a street pad which meets most peoples requirements, stops well for the most part, Is extremely quiet, virtually dust free. I use them in most of my customers cars with the exception of the ones that i'm now using the new autozone Cmax pads, which seem to be equal to the akebonos but come with a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately they aren't available for most models yet. Otherwise i still get the best results for the average customer with Akebonos.

both my pads and i are crack free! ;)

but i do have to say that the rotors and pads proved themselves to me today on the 101...

Yay for Ate and Akebonos!

i'll keep everyone updated on their performance!

thanks to everyone who helped me out in picking these rotors and pads! =)

BMW4LIFE
03-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Yep, those slotted rotor will never fail you.

As a maintenance routine, you should flush your brake fluid every 2 or 3 years if you can. If you don't know when you last did it, it is time to do so.

Yea i just changed out the brake fluid with ate super blue dot 4 like 4 months ago...i was going to flush it again but i was over it...just had to take some fluid out with a turkey baster when i compressed the claipers...

thanks again for the rec on the rotors...

BMW4LIFE
03-31-2009, 03:27 PM
Keep in mind that Akebono makes no claims as a performance or track pad, its strictly a very good replacement for a street pad which meets most peoples requirements, stops well for the most part, Is extremely quiet, virtually dust free. I use them in most of my customers cars with the exception of the ones that i'm now using the new autozone Cmax pads, which seem to be equal to the akebonos but come with a lifetime warranty. Unfortunately they aren't available for most models yet. Otherwise i still get the best results for the average customer with Akebonos.

hey one thing i did notice today was that when i was driving to day it sounded like the pad was rubbing on the rotor...when i would press the break pedal the noise would go away...

is this temporary or did i do something wrong? do i need to break them in again?

thanks!

Jeff N.
03-31-2009, 05:36 PM
So how did you abuse the first set to kill them? Balo makes OK rotors and PBR Deluxes, while nothing special, are a proven pad. To crack the pad and ruin the rotor you must have been doing something out of the ordinary.

And your rubbing noise...what does is sound like? Metal on Metal or ??

BMW4LIFE
03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
So how did you abuse the first set to kill them? Balo makes OK rotors and PBR Deluxes, while nothing special, are a proven pad. To crack the pad and ruin the rotor you must have been doing something out of the ordinary.

And your rubbing noise...what does is sound like? Metal on Metal or ??

Well I did try to fly to the moon once in my car and when i say that i couldnt i slammed on my brakes! would that do it?! ;):p

haha

sorry i had to...

but seriously no nothing too crazy...i did have some close calls on the freeway but i wouldnt imagine that would ruin the pads and rotors...

as far as the noise goes...it sounds like metal on metal....like the pad in rubbing the rotor....but not a constant rub...more like a

rub....rub.....rub......rub.....

as i speed up..... it more like................... rub..rub..rub..rub

and so forth so on!

thanks!

Jeff N.
03-31-2009, 07:02 PM
There should be no metal on metal sounds. Check to make sure you have the caliper carrier correctly installed and not rubbing on the disk rotor. Also, check the backing plate dust shield to make sure it's not rubbing on the disk.

It's likely one of those.