PDA

View Full Version : car trouble in Eau Clare, WI

ahlem
03-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Good afternoon,
I am stuck with the mechanical fan center bearing fried. Can I take it off and run with only the electrical fan until I get to MPLS?
Cell number is 616-560-4242
If I turn on the AC does the electrical fan kick on?
There are several big box stores here that may have a metric wrench big enough to grab the center nut. I will have some access to this site courtesy of the nice man at the Comfort Inn for a little while.
There is quite a bit of vibration and running out of round I only drove about 4 miles and don't want to fry the water pump seal.

Tiger
03-30-2009, 05:09 PM
You really need to change out that fan clutch. Aux fan will not cool down your car enough and even if you do try aux fan only, you need to rig it so it is on all the time. AC must stay off at all time.

632 Regal
03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
I think as long as you wont get stuck in traffic you would be okay with no fan and it wound be safer for the waterpump and hood. The electric fans should kick on as the temp rises but are not enough to keep things cool in traffic as I said.

ahlem
03-30-2009, 08:50 PM
Update...
I found a Harbor Freight store in Eau Clair that had a set of metric wrenches including 32mm. I loosened the LH nut and removed the fan in their parking lot. I will acquire the fan clutch tomorrow from Blunt in MN and make all my stops. Thanks to those who offered their knowledge. I think I got 10hp extra by taking the fan off. It's 45 degrees F around here.

dennyg
03-30-2009, 11:01 PM
Turn your heat on full. It will help disperse the engine heat.

Ross
03-31-2009, 08:04 AM
In the still white north you'll be fine while moving and prob okay at a standstill if the aux. fan still works. I wouldn't take any detours through Arizona that way though. Turning on the a/c will kick on the aux fan but shouldn't be necessary as there is also a redundant temp switch.
Taking off the clutch is a good move if it was vibrating. The fans make an awful mess when they explode.

ryan roopnarine
03-31-2009, 08:11 AM
so, did you short the fan switch to run the fan continuously?