PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Door M.I.A!

Calico_NC
03-30-2009, 11:58 AM
Well last night my fuel tank door went missing somewhere on the highway..*sighs* Now i have no door and my gas is free for the entire neighborhood.. I know my hinge is cracked/broken, so i know i need to replace that, but how would i go about getting a new fuel door. I really want one in the same color as my car (dark green) because i don't know the first thing about painting the replacement. So where would i go about finding one..im at a lost now.

ElNormo
03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Well last night my fuel tank door went missing somewhere on the highway..

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I bought a used fuel door of the right color, but over twenty years, my paint had faded differently than that on the door. So I had to buy a "blank" door and have a body shop paint it to match.

Make sure that when you order the hinge, it comes with the metal spring that holds the door closed/open.

Good luck!

Norman

JD525IA
03-30-2009, 05:34 PM
Well last night my fuel tank door went missing somewhere on the highway..*sighs* Now i have no door and my gas is free for the entire neighborhood.. I know my hinge is cracked/broken, so i know i need to replace that, but how would i go about getting a new fuel door. I really want one in the same color as my car (dark green) because i don't know the first thing about painting the replacement. So where would i go about finding one..im at a lost now.

or the local U Pick It lot. The dark green E34's are fairly common. You can get a new hinge for around $20.

How the heck did it come off while driving on the highway?

JD

Calico_NC
03-31-2009, 01:44 AM
umm..i know i might get bashed for this, but umm...maybe the music was a notch or two too loud ;) *BOOM BOOM*

BMW4LIFE
03-31-2009, 09:03 AM

your lucky this didnt happen when gas was $5.00...you would have had to guard your car with a shotgun! ha! =)

rockin1978TA
04-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I got the door and hinge from Bavarian Auto recyclers in california. total with shipping I think was $30. They do shipping by piece, not weight. They say they can't gurantee they have the color you need, but tell em to check and you'll call back in a day.

shogun
04-01-2009, 09:25 PM
I asssume >90% of all plastic clips are broken, I replaced my one last year
http://twrite.org/shogunnew/fixes/body.html#Fuel_Flap

Calico_NC
04-02-2009, 02:53 AM
I got the door and hinge from Bavarian Auto recyclers in california. total with shipping I think was $30. They do shipping by piece, not weight. They say they can't gurantee they have the color you need, but tell em to check and you'll call back in a day.

thanks for the reference..checking them out now