PDA

View Full Version : OT-Spring Snowstorm Approaching....Bought an X5 Two Week Ago

Jr ///M5
03-27-2009, 08:48 PM
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9961/dscn1571s.jpg (http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscn1571s.jpg)

Many, many years ago I sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and the next day it snowed 22"....that was about 11 years ago. Here in the Midwest, it's pretty handy to have a 4 wheel drive vehicle. Although they do a good job clearing the roads in the winter, there is a sense (probably false) of security knowing that you have the ability, if needed, to venture out across the frozen tundra to obtain that beverage that every household can't do without...milk.

I've missed that ability for the past 11 years and when Lori's old road warrior E39 turned 163,000 miles, the time was right. Having 3 BMW cars in the stable and one out to college meant I needed something a little more versitile, or at least that was the logic I was using, even Lori was in agreement. So it was time to seize the moment of opportunity.

It just so happened that I had already been looking all around for the next 4 wheel drive. There were Jeeps and 4Runners and this and that, but nothing felt right, until, a customer of my local BMW dealer traded in her '04 X5 3.0 for a brand new one....it was exactly what I had been hoping for...premium package, cold weather package, heated steering wheel, rear climate package, it had just the right options with 32k miles, and X-Drive, in Sterling Gray Metallic, we struck a deal. So once again, I'm happy to to be able to venture out across the frozen tundra....into an inviting Spring Snowstorm..;)

Jeff N.
03-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Know what you're talking about. In the snow, the combined distance the 535 and the P-car travel is less than the length of our Honda Pilot. We'd be lost without it.

Nice X5 there Jr!

Paul in NZ
03-27-2009, 09:35 PM
3.0 steptronic?Nice.so you have FOUR bmw now?

Jr ///M5
03-27-2009, 09:46 PM
Know what you're talking about. In the snow, the combined distance the 535 and the P-car travel is less than the length of our Honda Pilot. We'd be lost without it.

Nice X5 there Jr!

Thanks Jeff, it'll make next winter a little more easy. Original wheels seem to be plentiful, so I'll be shopping for some winter tires later on too.

Jr ///M5
03-27-2009, 10:02 PM
3.0 steptronic?Nice.so you have FOUR bmw now?

Yes Paul, I'm certifiable...;) 4 bimmers....but that's what I had before. We traded in the '01 525 with 163,000 miles. Let's just say that while the E39 had been a good car, there wasn't nothing special about it. You didn't get out of it saying, "Damn, I like driving that car"....it was more like, "Damn car"

Lori really racks up the miles on them, and the E39 didn't age that well, I was tired of all the typical E39 problems and never felt connected to that car. It served it's purpose well and kept my wife safe for many commuter miles. The engine was as strong as the day we bought it, and besides needing tires, an entire front and rear suspension overhaul, we would quickly put in more money than the car would be worth holding onto. So...time to move on. Especially when I went out to the car after a rain storm and found the carpets soaking wet because of faulty seals INSIDE of the door panels...that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Bill R.
03-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Let me know how you like it... I've been tossing around the idea of an x5 since they are showing up here fairly reasonably priced and the previa is really getting up there in miles and needing cosmetics. I'm looking around at other minivans but keep glancing at x5's that show up for sale since we reaally don't need the hauling space of a minivan, mostly wanted one because of the gas mileage the newer sienna's and odyssey's get.

Jr ///M5
03-28-2009, 11:27 AM
Let me know how you like it... I've been tossing around the idea of an x5 since they are showing up here fairly reasonably priced and the previa is really getting up there in miles and needing cosmetics. I'm looking around at other minivans but keep glancing at x5's that show up for sale since we reaally don't need the hauling space of a minivan, mostly wanted one because of the gas mileage the newer sienna's and odyssey's get.

Thanks Bill.. Remember when we were looking at the RX300's a few years ago. Well, I've been keeping my eye out for something since then. I didn't like the 4Runners as well, no heated seats (and at our age, it's a very nice feature) and I felt cramped, although they run forever, Scott H. said, "I don't think you even have to change the oil on those"...:D I looked at Jeeps, I've had 3 of them over the years and they were very capable in the weather here, just time to try something else. Besides, their repair record isn't stellar either. I drove a Land Rover Range Rover and couldn't get it back to the dealer fast enough, what a piece of crap. The Lexus was too girly..;) I kept circling back to BMW and the X5. Drove an '01 and liked it immediately. Very famaliar controls, almost exactly like the E39. Didn't buy that one, but I started digging into the research on them and found out that the '04 and newer models is when the X-Drive was introduced. Now, X-drive is the 4 wheel drive system that all others are measured by. BMW also made some upgrades to the model year 2004, front and rear upgraded look that gives it a distinguished look.
The 3.0 engine is tried and true, the ride is firm, but not like a truck, and best of all, it has the performance of a BMW with handling and braking second to none.
I can't help but say when I'm finished driving, "Damn, I like driving that car"..

Black 535i
03-28-2009, 11:42 AM
...the tires do. This is an age old argument but it is the contact with the ground not the amount of drive wheels you have. I have a 17 year old 535 with snows all around and I still get by 4x4's in the winter. As long as you are properly equipped and do not drive like a fool you will have no issues. I have nothing against 4x4's but would never buy one since I do not live in the woods. The fact that it is a 4500 lb. +/- vehicle does not help my bankbook either with the mileage and wear on all the components with that weight. Enjoy the ride though, they do look good but not what I would go for.

Thanks Jeff, it'll make next winter a little more easy. Original wheels seem to be plentiful, so I'll be shopping for some winter tires later on too.

Paul in NZ
03-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Yes Paul, I'm certifiable...;) 4 bimmers....but that's what I had before. We traded in the '01 525 with 163,000 miles. Let's just say that while the E39 had been a good car, there wasn't nothing special about it. You didn't get out of it saying, "Damn, I like driving that car"....it was more like, "Damn car"

Lori really racks up the miles on them, and the E39 didn't age that well, I was tired of all the typical E39 problems and never felt connected to that car. It served it's purpose well and kept my wife safe for many commuter miles. The engine was as strong as the day we bought it, and besides needing tires, an entire front and rear suspension overhaul, we would quickly put in more money than the car would be worth holding onto. So...time to move on. Especially when I went out to the car after a rain storm and found the carpets soaking wet because of faulty seals INSIDE of the door panels...that was the straw that broke the camels back.

so you have the 318 and the 540 and the x5 and?

Jr ///M5
03-28-2009, 06:06 PM
so you have the 318 and the 540 and the x5 and?

Ok, well let's see...Aubrey has the '91 318iS at college, Lori has been driving the '04 530i Sport, (it's sweet) and of course the M540i Sport, and the latest addition to the stable, the '04 X5.