PDA

View Full Version : 95 540 i/6 - Nikasil question

hlenoble
03-26-2009, 01:16 PM
I am considering buying a '95 540 6 speed with 114K miles. The car is in excellent shape, the clutch and flywheel were recently replaced, as was the radiator.

I am concerned about the Nikasil issue. I know that the 6-speed means it is a later model 95, does that mean it is the newer, non Nikasil engine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

yaofeng
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Bring a lump of play dough. Press it against the block on the passenger side at the overhanging end of the starter to get the imprint. I suspect it is Nikasil unless replaced under the warranty program. If it is get the leak down done before pulling the trigger.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_540/Re-exposureofDSC_2596.jpg

saluki540i
03-26-2009, 03:58 PM
My Oct. built 95 540i is a Nikasil engine. BTW it's never used oil either, and I actually borescoped the engine during the oil pump chain tension inspection, and you can physically see the crosshatches in all 8 cylinders. Basically if it's a nikasil engine like mine and has no issues by now, new ones are unlikely. BTW, if you are looking for a really nice driver, you should consider mine. Didn't know if you were in the U.S. or not.

Jr ///M5
03-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Saluki is correct. The later build Nikasil engines for some reason didn't experience the problems that the early model 540's and 530's did. My M540i was a 10/95 build date also. I have the opinion that a lot of these engines were replaced unneccessarily.

I own an M540i Sport, with the original Nikasil engine and 132,000 miles. At stop lights you can hardly tell the engine is running, it's that smooth.

If this particuliar car you are looking at has 100k miles or over, I would venture to say that it has passed the test of time. However, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked if you cannot make an informed decision.

With the way the M60 is built, the PCV plate and intake gaskets can cause an O2 sensor to act up, also a rough idle. The good news is that these parts aren't very expensive, the bad news is the job is labor intensive. If you're good with a wrench, it's not a problem.

Hope this helps,
JR

632 Regal
03-26-2009, 05:23 PM
perfectly spoken as usual :)
Saluki is correct. The later build Nikasil engines for some reason didn't experience the problems that the early model 540's and 530's did. My M540i was a 10/95 build date also. I have the opinion that a lot of these engines were replaced unneccessarily.

I own an M540i Sport, with the original Nikasil engine and 132,000 miles. At stop lights you can hardly tell the engine is running, it's that smooth.

If this particuliar car you are looking at has 100k miles or over, I would venture to say that it has passed the test of time. However, it wouldn't hurt to have it checked if you cannot make an informed decision.

With the way the M60 is built, the PCV plate and intake gaskets can cause an O2 sensor to act up, also a rough idle. The good news is that these parts aren't very expensive, the bad news is the job is labor intensive. If you're good with a wrench, it's not a problem.

Hope this helps,
JR

hlenoble
03-26-2009, 11:16 PM
Thank you to all for your replies. I am going to decide if I am buying the car tomorrow. I owned an e39 540 i/6 a few years ago and I love the power, but I am also considering an e36 328 iS from the same dealer. I have thought about pros and cons of both, and it's fairly even in my mind. Regardless of this being an e34 forum, what do you think?

Mileage on both cars are almost the same, 114/110K, the e34 is a '95 and the e36 is a '96.

Thanks in advance.

Paul in NZ
03-27-2009, 12:14 AM
a five series is 10 times the car thann a three series...unless you really want the smaller more agile car of course

nirvana19
03-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Can't think of many ways in which the 5-series isn't much more of a car than the E36. Though I'm far from impartial since I think the E34 is one of the best BMW designs and I prefer my E34 over the E39 and virtually any 3-series.

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the E34 540i/6 might be a bit quicker than the E39, and definitely FEELS quicker.