PDA

View Full Version : E39 540 valve covers

h2oyo
03-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Hello,
I was wondering if the valve covers from a e39 540 will fit up on my e34 540i. I have a line a set if they will. I would like to get them cleaned up and powder coated and us them for my so to be valve cover gasket work. Thanks for the help.
Johan

bubba966
03-23-2009, 07:10 PM
Well looking at realoem it shows that both versions of the M62 pre 9/98 & post 9/98 have different part numbers than the M60 valve covers.

Couldn't tell you what the difference would be between them and if you can slap M62 covers on an M60 as I've not seen them side by side to compare.

h2oyo
03-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Well looking at realoem it shows that both versions of the M62 pre 9/98 & post 9/98 have different part numbers than the M60 valve covers.

Couldn't tell you what the difference would be between them and if you can slap M62 covers on an M60 as I've not seen them side by side to compare.

Yeah I seen that they had different part numbers also, i was just hoping I guess. They do look alike in the pictures I just dont have them in hand to try. Thanks
Johan

leicesterboy15
03-26-2009, 01:48 PM
Don't M62 valve covers have an oil cap on both sides where as on an m60 its on just one? Thats one difference (if I am right :))

yaofeng
03-26-2009, 02:34 PM
I got my '01 540it two weeks ago. Then I left the country for two weeks. Just got back last night so I haven't check the engine compartment to make sure. But when I looked at the car during purchase inspection about a month ago, what I thought the additional oil cap (the same way you did) was actually the B+ battery positive junction and not an oil cap. Weird huh? I don't know if that is a good location for the B+ junction so close to ground.

leicesterboy15
03-26-2009, 05:37 PM
I got my '01 540it two weeks ago. Then I left the country for two weeks. Just got back last night so I haven't check the engine compartment to make sure. But when I looked at the car during purchase inspection about a month ago, what I thought the additional oil cap (the same way you did) was actually the B+ battery positive junction and not an oil cap. Weird huh? I don't know if that is a good location for the B+ junction so close to ground.

Well I was erm...close! Maybe its there because its near the ground? Would make it easier to jump start...