PDA

View Full Version : Wow, 30 MPG

ScottyWM
03-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Drove the touring up and back from Raleigh to Upstate NY this week. Wanted to change plugs and filters before the trip (about 1600 miles total), but didn't have time. Still averaged 29.8 mpg on the highway. This is mostly taking I-95 (75-80 mph) and Rt 15 (up and down Pennsylvania hills). Pretty amazing for a 16 year old car with this many miles. So why do they want me to spend big $$ on a new POS car that gets 33mpg??

Had this car over 10 years now, and love it more each year...

Bo525i
03-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Yea, its amazing!
I did a similar long run and was totally "omg this amazing" these cars are made for running on german autobahns and driving them at long distances really proves just how well made they are! :)

h2oyo
03-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Drove the touring up and back from Raleigh to Upstate NY this week. Wanted to change plugs and filters before the trip (about 1600 miles total), but didn't have time. Still averaged 29.8 mpg on the highway. This is mostly taking I-95 (75-80 mph) and Rt 15 (up and down Pennsylvania hills). Pretty amazing for a 16 year old car with this many miles. So why do they want me to spend big $$ on a new POS car that gets 33mpg??

Had this car over 10 years now, and love it more each year...

I keep telling myself that also, I have been averaging 17.5 mpg and that is city driving. I know its nothing earth shattering but I thought it was pretty good for a 95 540i. I like to drive and i'm its not like i'm keeping my foot out of it even in city traffic you can zip around some. Man I love this car.
johan

bad_manners_god
03-20-2009, 11:15 PM
When I drove down to washington, which is about 1000km (603 miles) and it takes 11 hours according to mapquest.

I went down with the touring, 5 people, a full trunk and doing 160-180kmh(100-110mph)
We did 5 pit stops, got pulled over by the undercover state trooper, switched drivers for a bit (other driver only doing 120-140kmh for about 1 hour) Took us 7 hours total.

Took 1 tank and a half, Full tank at that speed got me 735km....You can't even get that from a 4 cylinder in it's prime

KenB
03-21-2009, 02:09 PM
When I bought mine it had 100k and the MPG avg. read 23.5

Six years later with 240k, the MPG avg. reads 23.5

I've changed the spark plugs once, probably do them again soon. I do change oil and filters, including air filter, routinely. Using synth oil I have never used more than 1 qt. between changes which I do at 6-7k, changing air filter every other oil change.

Just replaced the clutch for the first time at 235k. Brakes last around 100k. Looking to get another few years of reliable service out of this amazing old piece of German engineered machinery.

I can't justify spending the kind of money it would take to get something comparable to this car just because I can afford it. I rent cars alot for my business and always love getting back into my own car.

Long live the e34!