PDA

View Full Version : u-joint part # ?

chinist
03-19-2009, 09:45 AM
I don't see a part number at realOEM, for the front u-joint on a non-gimbel style driveline. picture is there with a reference number, but no part #.......Has anyone out there done the research to figure this out ?

632 Regal
03-19-2009, 12:53 PM
U-joints are not a replaceable part however you can have the driveshaft machined to accept a U-joint. The entire driveshaft is the replacement unit... what a trip huh?

Rus
03-19-2009, 04:44 PM
As Regal said, the u-joint isn't typically replaceable on these driveshafts. Specialized outfits like www.thrashdriveshaft.com can replace the pressed-in joints. Their rebuilt driveshafts are essentially the same as OEM. You could try and check with them about the u-joints, but I doubt they'd tell you where they get their rebuild parts.

chinist
03-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Still not sure why it wouldn't be as simple as a lot of u-joints I've replaced, as long as you have the correct part. Looking at the parts diagram, I can't see where any machining would be required. A little creative press work maybe, but nothing too prohibitive.

chinist
03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
$20....They also explain why it's not easily done. Joints are retained in the yokes by staking rather than with spring retainers. Guess a little machining will be required. Funny that the realOEM parts diagram shows retainers tho.....

Kibokojoe
03-19-2009, 07:45 PM
A local driveshaft provider said it can be done but the difficult part is to get the bearings restaked and balanced. He tried to install an aftermarket bearing but he never got it quiet right. I bought a driveshaft.

chinist
03-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Right. Staking to exact center of yokes would be tricky using less than OEM technique and equipment. On the other hand, cutting grooves for retainers with vertical mill and boring head...not so bad. I just bought an E39, so the 34 can lay up for interesting projects like this when time allows. I'll post results if I get a chance to give it a try.

632 Regal
03-19-2009, 08:40 PM
there used to be threads on this machining stuff with a search, dont know if any are still around.