PDA

View Full Version : Transmission woes. A recap.

vping
03-17-2009, 09:36 AM
I posted a few times about my 1990 535I tha twhen I put it in gear it will not go but catches after awhile. Well I finally got around to moving it in the driveway yesterday and here is what happend. First off it was dead so I have a drain somewhere. I got it started, put it in Drive and it was fine. I left it running in my driveway for about 45 minutes (I forgot I left it running) to charge the battery. When I remembered it, I got in. Put it in drive and it went forward a little no problem. When I put it in reverse, it would not engage. My driveway has a slight incline - I mention this in case this may effect reverse. I know you guys mentioned that it might be as simple as the O rings in the valve and that Shogun has info on it. Also it was mentioned that it may be as simple as low fluid. It was sitting for 6 years before I got it and the fluid is due for a change.

Here are my questions.

How can I contact shogun?

Is there a link to the instructions on doing this?

Can I order the O rings needed at the local autozone/pepboys and where can I get the part numbers of these O rings?

What fluid do I use?

I have the bentley and will also be swapping out the Transmission filter while I'm under there.

Thanks in advance and you can email if you need to.

Vince

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-17-2009, 04:20 PM
IHere are my questions.

How can I contact shogun? PM him

Is there a link to the instructions on doing this? probably

Can I order the O rings needed at the local autozone/pepboys and where can I get the part numbers of these O rings? Trans shop would be better

What fluid do I use? Dextron (I like valvoline Maxlife)
I have the bentley and will also be swapping out the Transmission filter while I'm under there. Yes
Thanks in advance and you can email if you need to.

Vince

good luck

ArnZ!
03-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Mate i had this problem recently..... transmission is in the shop getting rebuilt right now. it could be due to a number of reasons. Seals hardening, no more clutch material, valve bodies stuck...... in the end if the car is worth it then get the gbox rebuilt or convert to manual.

vping
03-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Car only has 144,000 on it so I feel it is but money is an issue right now. I'm hoping it's just the O-rings but need some more infor before I can tackle it. I sent Shogun a PM to see if he could help but have not heard back. I sent it late last night so he may not even have it yet.

ArnZ!
03-18-2009, 06:16 PM
heres a workshop manual that has a troubleshooting section that shogun sent me last week. http://bmwzone.ro/forums/post-a14824-.html

632 Regal
03-18-2009, 09:01 PM
sounds more possibly like a fluid level issue to me. When mine starts getting low it does have some odd behaviors that a trans shop would definitely have fun with a non informed owner.

Car only has 144,000 on it so I feel it is but money is an issue right now. I'm hoping it's just the O-rings but need some more infor before I can tackle it. I sent Shogun a PM to see if he could help but have not heard back. I sent it late last night so he may not even have it yet.

vping
03-19-2009, 09:40 AM
That's why I'd reather do some diagnostics first to see if I can figure it out. I'd rather not spend big bucks at this point. The car was dirt cheap but it's like a 4rth car to me and will go to my daughter in a year as her first after she gets her license. Even if I did have to shell out the cash for a rebuilt trans, it's was still a steal of a deal.

dreman77
03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
heres a workshop manual that has a troubleshooting section that shogun sent me last week. http://bmwzone.ro/forums/post-a14824-.html

Thats cool. I wonder if he has one for the 5HP18

vping
03-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Is that munual for the Automatic that is in a 1990 535I?

ArnZ!
03-20-2009, 10:02 AM
yep 4hp22 boxes

whiskychaser
03-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Thats cool. I wonder if he has one for the 5HP18
ATSG site lists the factory repair manual which I have got. But it doesnt cover the valve body in any detail. They do list a valve body manual for the
complete 5HP series seperately. At USD 481 I think its pretty steep when you can get a repair kit for less:
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=ZF5HP18kits
For copyright reasons I cannot post the ZF manual but if you need any information pm me;)

vping
03-20-2009, 12:12 PM
The link you posted lists repair kits at various prices. Do I need one of those to replace the o-rings in the valve body? I thought a few O-rings was a simple task and needing only a few bucks..

whiskychaser
03-20-2009, 02:17 PM
The link you posted lists repair kits at various prices. Do I need one of those to replace the o-rings in the valve body? I thought a few O-rings was a simple task and needing only a few bucks..
I was replying to dreman77 and his tranny is different from yours. What I should have said is 'look how expensive the book for the valve body is - you can buy a repair kit for that!' If you are only replacing seals in the valve body it shouldnt be complicated or expensive. Any fault codes showing?

My apologies for the confusion and for talking across your thread:(

vping
03-20-2009, 04:43 PM
Good point. No fault codes so maybe it's just the level. I am checking it now.

vping
03-20-2009, 05:03 PM
OK. Fluid checked out OK, maybe a squirt low so I added about 6 oz to put it mid stick.

Here is what is weird. When I put it into drive, you can feel it solidly go into drive. When I put it into reverse, you hardly feel it go in and slowly goes back without my foot on the gas. If I give it gas same thing, just really slowly. My d-way is a sligh incline so I put it neutral and it stays there - then back to reverse and slowly so I know reverse is doing something but I doubt I'm backing out of a parking spot if need be.

Could a valve O-ring cause this? Why reverse? You figure you beat up all the forward gears way more than reverse.

whiskychaser
03-20-2009, 07:00 PM
OK. Fluid checked out OK, maybe a squirt low so I added about 6 oz to put it mid stick.

Here is what is weird. When I put it into drive, you can feel it solidly go into drive. When I put it into reverse, you hardly feel it go in and slowly goes back without my foot on the gas. If I give it gas same thing, just really slowly. My d-way is a sligh incline so I put it neutral and it stays there - then back to reverse and slowly so I know reverse is doing something but I doubt I'm backing out of a parking spot if need be.

Could a valve O-ring cause this? Why reverse? You figure you beat up all the forward gears way more than reverse.
I would guess F clutch but its only a guess. Saw this and thought it may be of interest to anybody doing an overhaul on your type of tranny
http://www.x5world.com/x5-e53-forum/57176-transmission-rebuild-pics-do-these-pics-make-you-want-diy-when-comes-time.html

vping
03-23-2009, 12:46 PM
That is a great link and I'll have to save it later when I get home. I spoke to a mechanic friend and it sounds to him like I should be replacing the filter as soon as possible. If it works going forward and almost works in reverse, the filter just might be clogged from years of not changing it.

mattyb
03-25-2009, 09:44 AM
been a while since ive been here, so hi to all. maybe clutch packs and enevitabally a rebuild at the end of the day. I hope not but when was it last serviced and how? and what has been the frequency of fluid changes etc? and how were they done. **** we have had a heap of convo regarding the life time fluid changes etc. I was one who went through the rebuild as a result of the fluid never having been changed and there were many others who changed part fluids now and then. I learnt the hard way how to manage the box fluids etc. bhope its just valves. Pardon spellllling errors buts its late here and im half shott. I miss u guys!!!!

Ross
03-25-2009, 10:22 AM
http://www.transtarindustries.com/
They also carry the ATSG manuals