PDA

View Full Version : OT kinda - Shell W/Nitrogen

632 Regal
03-16-2009, 08:41 PM
Okay it's been out, anyone try it besides MBXB? He says his fuel mileage doubled and the car is a LOT faster. :D

Russell
03-16-2009, 09:18 PM
I used shell 93 v-power previously with no apparent advantage over Chevron 93 or BP 93. Will try the new Shell blend on my next fill.

MBXB
03-16-2009, 10:19 PM
DOUBLED!!??? ROFL.... more like gained a couple mpg LOL

632 Regal
03-16-2009, 10:59 PM
That must have been it then.
DOUBLED!!??? ROFL.... more like gained a couple mpg LOL

Ross
03-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Never heard of it. WTF would nitrogen, which comprises something like 70% of the atmosphere anyway, have to do with combustion?
Souds like hoo-ha to me. Everyone knows that there are TABLETS available that boost horsepower 50% and double gas mileage so who needs it anyway.

mikell
03-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Never heard of it. WTF would nitrogen, which comprises something like 70% of the atmosphere anyway, have to do with combustion?
Souds like hoo-ha to me. Everyone knows that there are TABLETS available that boost horsepower 50% and double gas mileage so who needs it anyway.

Although, it is likely that this "nitrogen" is only part of a bigger molecule in their additive - you don't expect the advertising hype to give the full chemical name, right? For all we know, it's some super secret formula - usually they come up with some zoomy sounding name like NitroBooster or something.

Remeber, nitrogen is a prominent element in a good many explosives, like TNT, for example (also, nitroglycerine, nitoromethane, and let us not forget the impact nitrate fertilizer mixed with diesel had on the Murrah Federal Building in OK City). But, on its own, nitrogen gas is virtually inert.

So, who knows what Shell's "Nitrogen" really is? I bet a chemistry oreiented forum member could fill us in.

ryan roopnarine
03-17-2009, 09:38 AM
i've been trying to figure out what the "nitrogen" in it has to do with anything since they began to run the commercials. i was giving the jockey grief about "vpower" back in 2004, so i'll sit down and see what the deal is some day now.

here's shell's claim, ie, that the "nitrogen" is for cleaning purposes, and not energetic purposes

http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/aboutshell/media_center/news_and_press_releases/2009/nitrogen_030209.html

me, personally, I keep a 12'' rod of 1 1/4 diameter of Uranium in the trunk. I just cut off a 1/4 inch section with each fillup, break it into pieces small enough to fit in the filler neck, and use that as my additive instead.

whiskychaser
03-18-2009, 05:47 AM
After CO2 and methane, nitrous oxide is the third largest greenhouse gas. So if you put extra nitrogen in the front, what comes out of the back? Mind you, I dont think the US has ratified the Kyoto protocol yet:D

Ross
03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Good point about the explosives, I took it at face value.

Shell Is Ferrari's partner in F1 and does some extraordinary chemistry for them, to the extent that lighter weight fuel was being researched. Perhaps some serendipitous discovery. Nah, if it smells like BS it usually is.

Omega
03-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Nah, if its posted by Jeff it's usually BS

Edited for Truth..... :p

BMWDriver
03-18-2009, 06:59 PM
Nitrogen, hydrogen... will the industry make up its mind already !