PDA

View Full Version : Manual Gearbox Stop Leak ???

philbyil
03-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I have a slight weep from my manual gearbox and wondered if anyone has used any manual transmission stop leak in the U.S.

Have seen lots of comments on this stuff (Lucas & Wynn) in the U.K. and also the Land of OZ (Rexlube and Nulon) but no comments from similar stuff in thee U.S.

Can anyone give a recommendation??

bubba966
03-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Is your 'box actually supposed to take MTL or is it one of the ones that calls for ATF?

philbyil
03-16-2009, 06:26 PM
ATF....I run Mobil1 synthetic ATF in it.

Is your 'box actually supposed to take MTL or is it one of the ones that calls for ATF?

russiankid
03-16-2009, 06:48 PM
What is actually leaking?

bubba966
03-16-2009, 07:00 PM
ATF....I run Mobil1 synthetic ATF in it.

So why not throw some ATF stop leak in it?

Ross
03-17-2009, 07:48 AM
I am one of those that had leaks develop in an engine that had run all it's life on conventional oil when synthetic was used. Refilling with conventional stopped the leak.
Perhaps plain old ATF is the answer.

Bill R.
03-17-2009, 08:59 AM
would help, all dexron or d/m whatever name they are forced to use now, is semisynthetic already. And every atf that i know of has seal swelling chemicals in it already including the mobil one ATF... I'd be more interested in where Uncle Phil's is seeping from to make a determination what to do.

I am one of those that had leaks develop in an engine that had run all it's life on conventional oil when synthetic was used. Refilling with conventional stopped the leak.
Perhaps plain old ATF is the answer.

philbyil
03-17-2009, 12:41 PM
Couldn't find an external source, other than a "lubricated" selector rod end at the rear of the gearbox. But no real "trail of tears" running down the gearbox. There was some fluid on the undercarriage at the top of the guibo but no leak at all at the rear of the gearbox!! Weird...

It wasn't down a LOT (last changed 4yrs ago) and so I put in 1qt Mobil1 and .1 of a qt of Lucas gearbox additive.

Everything was dry this morning. Am taking the GQ for a 600 mile back roads drive over the weekend and will check it when I return. Hoping the Lucas gubbins will do the trick :) !

While I was out and under, noticed the heat shield covering the siamesed end of the exhaust (surrounding the O2 sensor) had almost disintegrated and was flapping around. Removed all the crappy stuff and can now easily get to the 02 sensor, which I will probably replaced shortly. The GQ now has 50000 miles on it and it's about time for a replacement.

Other than that...the car drives just great and I get a consistent 27mpg at 75mph. Love this car :)

philbyil
05-01-2009, 04:10 PM
After 850 miles, my tranny is DRY:).
No leaks...and, given the previous weep at the rear, I reckon it must have been the selector fork seal. The Lucas stuff works....shifting is where it was before so i can only say good things!