PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Projector Seal

pgrindstaff
03-12-2009, 03:39 PM
In my futile attempt to twist the cover off of the back of my left hand low beam (Euro smiley types) I decided that instead of pulling the grille off the front of the car I'd employ a screw drive to give me more leverage. Needless to say, this turned out to not be such a great idea. Instead of twisting the cap off of the projector I ended up twisting and breaking the seal between the projector and the housing. Structurally the light is ok, I just need to get something to re-seal it with, hence the reason for this thread.

Here's a picture for clarity:
http://grindstaffp.googlepages.com/P1020489.JPG

What would you guys use for this? The current sealant seems to be a black, rubber cement type of glue but I have no idea what I would be looking for in Home Depot. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Patrick

russiankid
03-12-2009, 04:23 PM
I would use silicon but wait till someone else chimes in.

pgrindstaff
03-12-2009, 05:56 PM
After further inspection, the metal piece that is now loose is just the bulb holder. I have cleaned most of the old silicon off but am wondering if something stronger should be used this time around. I don't plan on doing this again obviously but, as the addage "if you are going to do something, do it right the first time", has further proven true today, I am going to wait on your input before I head to the store with a missing eye.

Thanks for chiming in russiankid. For some reason the word 'silicon' didn't come to me in my first post. If there isn't a better option then I'll just throw more silicon at it.

Rus
03-12-2009, 06:00 PM
How about the window mounting sealant that is used on windshields? That should hold it rather well as well as seal out the elements.