PDA

View Full Version : New tapping noise in front of engine (M50)

sc156k
06-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Re: 1995 525i M50 - 157,000 miles

Today I noticed a tapping noise that increases with the idle and disappears at higher rpms. The noise is definitely coming from the very front of the engine and can be felt on the exposed front of the valve cover.

Does not seem to be a valve tapping but perhaps the timing chain?

Unregistered
06-05-2004, 06:41 PM
i have the same. i believe it may be the tensioner ...definitely from inside that front casing. love to know if a tensioner change is easy!!!

sc156k
06-05-2004, 08:54 PM
i have the same. i believe it may be the tensioner ...definitely from inside that front casing. love to know if a tensioner change is easy!!!

A quick scan in the Bentley shows the job requiring alot of time and special tools (total-dead-center locking tool, fan removal wrench, etc...). I beleive you're right though - after listening much closer, it sounds like a tap at idle and a rasping sound at higher rpms, going away eventually as the chain tenses up.

With the miles I have and the desire to upgrade on subsequent repairs, if I'm going to go through all the effort to dismantle to that extent then why not upgrade the cams etc...? (Then again, dumping $2k in upgrades on the top end of a 157,000 mile engine doesn't seem logical when you can buy a reman performance upgraded M50 from Bavarian Motor for $4-5,000)

Then again...how long can the engine run with that problem? It's got to be putting wear on the timing chain and anything the chain might be coming in contact with.

With 157,000 miles on the engine what becomes worth it? Hate to do alot only to have to rebuild the motor within a year or two. Love the car and the idea of replacing it with a lower mileage E39/E36/E46 still doesn't appeal to me even though it makes more sense economically. Its just that there are so many on the road, the E34 still looks up-to-date in style and yet you don't see them as much on the road as the others. My attachment to the car is rediculous! :p

Besides, I just dumped $1200 in Eibachs, Bilstein, and new Lemforder parts last month and am renewed in the way the car handles.

HAS ANYONE LET THE PROBLEM GO FOR ANY EXTENT OF TIME WITHOUT SUBSEQUENT PROGRESSIVE DAMAGE? HAS ANYONE DONE THE REPAIR IN ONE DAY AND HOW MUCH DID YOU SPEND IN PARTS? :(

Unregistered
06-06-2004, 04:55 PM
it seems the tensioner is a simple piston type externally bolted to the casing on the right side easily in view,,,i need to replace mine and any hints greatly apreciated.