PDA

View Full Version : '90 735il transmission dead???

Bruno
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
I do not like dealing with automatic transmission, I checked in the search and didn't find any useful post.

The car starts and run fine, moving the transmission selector doesn't do anything. Nothing at all.
- Tranny fluid level: fine
- Tranny shifter linkage: working fine

No forward, no reverse no nothing, customer told me that the car shaked before it happened then parked the car on the side.

Can the tranny just die like that? Without reverse or forward gears, no trans program either.

Thanks guys, I just changed the driveshaft a month again, now I might have to do a tranny...

whiskychaser
03-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Best guess is the torque converter has become disengaged from the pump. A test at the tapping on the side of the tranny will soon show if there is any ATF pressure. Item 2 here may be of interest:
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/important_torque_converter_insta.htm

Bruno
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Best guess is the torque converter has become disengaged from the pump. A test at the tapping on the side of the tranny will soon show if there is any ATF pressure. Item 2 here may be of interest:
http://www.europeantransmissions.com/Bulletin/important_torque_converter_insta.htm

In any case, is it better to just change the transmission?

whiskychaser
03-09-2009, 05:29 PM
In any case, is it better to just change the transmission?
I would say so. And I'd want to put in a new TC too. Tinkering is one thing but I think we are talking business here so its got to be right and fixed permanently

shogun
03-09-2009, 10:49 PM
A-clutch or valve body probably. How is the oil? Smells? Burned? Metal particles in ATF?
1 day job for a complete overhaul of the transmission including the valve body.
Nice weekend job. Parts are not that expensive, there are many online shops which sell reman kits, overhaul kits, metal parts, wear parts etc.
Have done about 10 meanwhile with my friends in the wrenching group. All 4HP24, and one - 22 for a 3 series.

Bruno
03-10-2009, 07:00 AM
A-clutch or valve body probably. How is the oil? Smells? Burned? Metal particles in ATF?
Nice weekend job. Parts are not that expensive, there are many online shops which sell reman kits, overhaul kits, metal parts, wear parts etc.
Have done about 10 meanwhile with my friends in the wrenching group. All 4HP24, and one - 22 for a 3 series.

Well, I didn't check the tranny fluid as the car was parked on the street and it was pretty cold out. Just made sure that it wasn't something obvious other than the transmission. I do not want to try rebuilding the transmission, I would rather install a good used one instead.

Thank you for the help, I will check the status of the fluid when I get a chance.

ArnZ!
03-10-2009, 07:19 AM

shogun can you please take the time to read my problem on my tranny

heres the link: http://www.bimmernut.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40917

Ross
03-10-2009, 08:41 AM
Go for the overhaul. All it takes is a loong work bench, some time and patience.
Driver says it shook? This was probably it's final gasp attempting to drive the car.
what is the fluid like?

whiskychaser
03-10-2009, 02:37 PM
We would try an overhaul or changing clutches but if that didnt cure the problem what then? I think we are talking business and reputation here. So if it were my customer I'd recommend a recon tranny and TC. At least it wouldnt come back to haunt me:D

Bruno
03-10-2009, 02:53 PM
We would try an overhaul or changing clutches but if that didnt cure the problem what then? I think we are talking business and reputation here. So if it were my customer I'd recommend a recon tranny and TC. At least it wouldnt come back to haunt me:D

Customer's max budget is : 500 US including installation...
And the car is a 1990 735il with rust. We all know how slippery the slope will be.
I found some clean no rust 1988 735i for 1200 US or so, that is his best bet.

shogun
03-10-2009, 10:22 PM
500$ including installation as max budget: I would clearly tell the customer, forget it. Whatever you try, 500 is low anyway if you do it as a business, and no one is sure if the first trial to repair it is in fact the repair necessary, I would go for the $1200 735, and keep the other one as parts car. But of course he needs space and willingness for DIY.

Ross
03-11-2009, 08:48 AM
I agree with Shogun. $500 won't cut it. Even a fast R&R guy is going to need 2-3 hrs, plus fluid, exhaust hangers, misc broken fasteners, futzing with corroded cooler lines.
Time to retire this 7.