PDA

View Full Version : 98 528ia urgent help

aquapool
03-05-2009, 08:39 PM
Urgent help for a newbie please!!! Looking at buying a 98 528i and have to decide quickly.
Here is the problem: belt broke on water pump and car overheated. Now head gasket is blown and possibly head may be warped or cracked. Oil is milky from coolant. Other supposed mechanics have looked at the car and are saying it needs a whole new engine and only want to offer the guy pennies on the dollar. I can fix the head no problem. My question is what other major issues could this have caused to the engine that it is now needing a whole new one. Im not the most experienced and I know the people here are far beyond my mechanical knowledge. To me the head is the worst case scenario. The car still starts and runs roughly for a short time until it overheats. What else could have been damaged. Im trying to find a good deal cause I don't have much to spend and my e34 has pretty much had it and I am absolutely in love with these cars. Thanks to all who reply to the newb.
Car has 130000miles and the owner drove a 2 hour drive and ran fine, when he left is when problems occurred. everything was in perfect running order before this happened

John in CT
03-05-2009, 08:46 PM
what mileage, overall cosmetic conditions, other known problems? Not too much to go on, maybe you luck out and reuse the head, maybe not.

John

BMWDriver
03-05-2009, 09:19 PM
I would not touch the thing if you can't have it inspected by a mechanic of your choice, ideally someone with E39 experience.

It sounds like a real gamble fixing that engine. It may indeed be more costly to diagnose it properly and fixing it than swapping a used engine in. I really don't think you can know anything for sure until the head comes off, and then some.

I say be patient or shop for a used engine if that car is in pristine shape, apart from the engine of course, and if it has a really clean body, interior and nice mags.

aquapool
03-05-2009, 09:25 PM
what mileage, overall cosmetic conditions, other known problems? Not too much to go on, maybe you luck out and reuse the head, maybe not.

John

$2000 for the car maybye less(gonna negotiate). Body and interior in immaculate condition. All regular maintenance has been done by authorized bmw shops. No problems with car at all until this. The only bad thing he could describe was that the paint is not perfect anymore some fading. mileage is 138000. for the deal I wouldn't care if I replace the head i have one readily available being pulled out of my brothers 328 since he is going to installl a mustang 5.0 engine and transmission in his.

aquapool
03-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I would not touch the thing if you can't have it inspected by a mechanic of your choice, ideally someone with E39 experience.

It sounds like a real gamble fixing that engine. It may indeed be more costly to diagnose it properly and fixing it than swapping a used engine in. I really don't think you can know anything for sure until the head comes off, and then some.

I say be patient or shop for a used engine if that car is in pristine shape, apart from the engine of course, and if it has a really clean body, interior and nice mags.

Will have a entire engine and transmission available for around a thousand U.S but would not want to go to that extent if possible. All labor will be done myself to save some

aquapool
03-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Going in the morning to buy so any other advice would be greatly appreciated

whiskychaser
03-06-2009, 02:59 PM
My question is what other major issues could this have caused to the engine that it is now needing a whole new one.

Anything that needs oil to cool or lubricate it could be stuffed - cams, bores, big end shells etc. Shorthand answer cos you dont have much time

winfred
03-07-2009, 12:46 AM
milkshake doesn't always kill a engine but if it has say too long with it in there it does start causing problems, the bores can rust from when the coolant runs into the cylinders after it is shut down and the moisture can start to etch the steel bearing surfaces

Ross
03-07-2009, 09:48 AM
A lot of coolant in the oil will have been a detriment but not necessarily terminal. Unless someone drove it till it stopped you might get away with leaving the bottom end alone.
You won't know until you either disassemble the bottom or button it up with a new head or whatever and try running it. Several rapid oil changes to clear it out. Good luck.
It's worth more in pieces than you paid so take comfort in that if it's a goner.